Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2014 08:00

Stacking or Link aggregation

Hi,

thanx in advance..

Honestly speaking i am new in Dell switches.

i have a little doubts in it please clear to me.

i have two dell power connect switches which is stacked. i connected with 3 dell power edge R620

from one lan card of server one connected with master switch port no one and the second lan connected with slave switch port no one. 

i done nic teaming into the server.

the same did in rest servers.

My question is if the stacking done. so there is need to do link aggregation too.

or after stacking no need to do any other advance configuration into the switch like channel group or port channel??????????

• 

8.7K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 09:00

Hi,

It depends on how you configured the NIC teaming, the normal smart loadbalancing and failover does not require additional setup of a port channel on the switch. There is an option in the teaming setup that you can use LAG and in that case you do need to create a port channel on the switch.

As for stacking and link aggregation, stacking basically creates one big switch out of two switches and you can create a LAG with ports from both switches, which would provide the best redundancy for stack to stack communication.

7 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 03:00

HI,

thanx for your response,

I configured NIC teaming with Switch independence , Address harsh, NIC 2 put on stand by.

so still need to configure Lag...?????

it still provide redundancy????

becz  problem i am facing that  when i try to ping servers with each other , some times RTO comes some time takes time Reply.????

• 

8.7K Posts

April 23rd, 2014 09:00

No Events found!