Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2014 11:00

Two 5448's using LACP

Good day all

I have a Windows 2008 R2 File Server using Broadcom Netxtreme II NICs. I have Teaming configured using the BroadCom Advanced Control Suite 4 . The two 5448's are configured using port-channels to pass traffic to a pair of Dell (Force 10) S25's. I want to team my server for Load Balancing across the two 5448's using LACP. Can anyone give me a config on the switch ports that my Server would connect to. It is one connection per switch

• 

8.5K Posts

December 9th, 2014 09:00

Are you able to add another NIC to the server? Then you could have a 2 port LAG to each switch.

• 

8.5K Posts

December 8th, 2014 13:00

Hi,

Are the switches stacked? If they are stacked then you just need to select the interfaces and add the ports to a port channel.

Console (config)# interface ethernet xx

Console (config-if)# channel-group x mode auto

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_powerconnect/powerconnect-5424_Reference%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Page 282

Once both ports in in the channel group you can change the teaming mode on the server to LACP, the default teaming of load balancing and failover doesn’t require any switch configuration.

79 Posts

December 8th, 2014 14:00

Hello Josh, no the switches are not stacked.so is the configuration different for the switches

• 

8.5K Posts

December 8th, 2014 15:00

In that case you can’t use a single LAG on different switches because the switches do not have a way to communicate the link status. So you have to just use teaming on the server side and no configuration on the switch side, which sounds like how it is currently configured.

79 Posts

December 9th, 2014 07:00

It was, however when I do that type of teaming I get severe latency and disconnects but intermittently, But If i just use teaming with a standby I seem to operate normally. The switches are connected using trunk ports to allow the VLANS between the two switches. Will that help at all?

• 

8.5K Posts

December 9th, 2014 08:00

The trunk allows the traffic to flow between them but not for creating a single LAG. Some of the Force10 switches have virtual link trunking that allow for split connections but nothing like that exists on the older switches.

79 Posts

Yes, and why didn't I think of that, That is what I will do. Thanks for your help!!

79 Posts

Rats, so basically with the 5448's i cannot use the LACP if I have separated the NICs on to two separate switches. What would be the best way to team then, I just feel like there is a way to get more throughput both TX and RX then just a single connection with a stanby NIC

No Events found!