Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2012 13:00

Unable to ping servers

Hello 

I am using dell powerconnect 5524. I am able to ping servers which are connect to ports 1 to 15 from switch but unable to ping from my PC(outside switch). I configured management switch IP to VLAN 1 and configured route . All my servers IP's are in same subnet. 

10.x.x.128 /26  VLAN 1

VLAN 1 connect to all ports untagged. Ports are enabled.

# Destination IP Prefix Prefix Length Next Hop Route Type Route Owner Metric Remove
Select All

1 10.x.x.128 /26 Local
2 0.0.0.0 /0 10.x.x.129 Remote Static 1

Could you please let me know why I am unable to ping servers outside switch. Do I need to add something in the routing?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 15th, 2012 06:00

There are a couple things I would suggest doing, to help isolate possible issues.

1. Test the connectivity of devices on the internal switch. We want to make sure that anything plugged into this switch can ping and communicate with the switch and each other. We need to make sure this communication is occurring before proceeding with checking communication outside of this switch. This would include taking a laptop, plugging it into an open port and trying to communicate with the servers.

2. Test the connection between the two switches. We should be able to ping across the Trunk ports that have been set. It is important to ensure that this is communicating correctly.

3. If the switches can ping each other, then try to ping from the servers to the outside switch. Make sure we have connection there.

4. Do a trace route from your PC to the server and see where connection is dropping off at.

These steps should help us get an idea of where communication is ending and we can go from that point. Also, it is always a good idea to have the switch firmware up to date, it can help ensure things run smoothly.

Thanks.

15 Posts

Sorry I forgot to add more information.
IPv4 Interface Parameters :

# IP Address Prefix Length Interface Type Remove
Select All

1 10.x.x.140 /26 VLAN 1 Static
10.x.x.140 is my switch management IP. I don't have IP from other subnet so thats why I am using IP from same subnet for management purpose.
Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Can you elaborate a little more on how the network is setup?  How does your PC connect to this network of servers?

To confirm, the servers on ports 1 through 15 can all communicate with each other?

Thanks

15 Posts

June 14th, 2012 14:00

My servers in the datacenter are connected to the switch. My PC ie from my home I don't have access to these servers. I cannot connect to these servers. I can connect to switch using GUI or CLI. Using CLI I can ping to each server from CLI. When I ping from outside the switch it is not working. 

I did not tested to communicate from server 1 to server 2 and etc as I don't have access I did not performed the action. 

Thanks

15 Posts

June 14th, 2012 16:00

Please find the attached configuration file. From external ie outside switch I am unable to see any servers which are connected to the internal switch ports.
Thanks

1 Attachment

15 Posts

June 17th, 2012 06:00

Thanks for your valuable answers. I found the problem. By mistake gateway IP is assigned to the server connected to switch.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 18th, 2012 07:00

Thanks for keeping us updated, Glad to hear you were able to get things working.

No Events found!