Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2014 15:00

VLAN Assistance Needed

Greetings! I need to create a network that has 10 separate VLANs (only 3ports/VLAN)  that can share one internet connection, but have no inter-VLAN visibility. What would be the best manner in putting this together? Private VLANs? Which PowerConnect Switch would be the best to go with for something like this?

Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

May 30th, 2014 15:00

I assume you plan to use 10 separate subnets as well then (one per vlan)? If so, you'll need at least a layer 3 capable switch.

Dell's 5500 would be able to do this. Higher model numbers will work too (e.g. 7000 series). I haven't worked with Dell's newer switches (N-series) to know which ones have what capabilities.

• 

8.7K Posts

May 30th, 2014 16:00

Hi komachi777,

There are a few ways that you could do this. The easiest way would be for routing to be handled on a router and not on the switch so that the VLANs stay isolated and to create a trunk port to the router that carries all 10 VLANs. You could also enable routing on the switch so that all VLANs can be routed to the router for internet and use access control lists to block them from communicating with each other.

No Events found!