Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 15th, 2018 14:00

VLAN access, trunk and general tagged or untagged

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you've seen that a lot but I haven't found a explanation that makes me understand completely that.

My understanding is that access mode is to connect devices to switch/router, trunk to connect switches with other switches or routers. However it's a bit grey for me where the General is needed ?

For access mode you have to untag and set the VLAN ID to that port that you want the devices connected to it to have it. When would you tag a port in access mode ?

For switches connected to each other, I have to set the port that does the link as trunk, and for example if I have 5 VLANS, I have to tag that port in trunk mode with all 5 VLANS ?

Thank you in advance!

• 

8.7K Posts

March 15th, 2018 16:00

Hi,

Can you private message me your service tag so I can get some additional information?

Access mode is mostly for end devices that do not have/understand VLAN tags. Trunk mode is for tagged VLANs and you are correct you would take a port with all of the VLANs you need. General is for ports that might have multiple devices and one needs no vlan tag, such as ip phone and pc.

3 Posts

November 9th, 2018 22:00

want to know more clearly about all ports will you provide me some more information regarding all those ports 

• 

8.7K Posts

November 12th, 2018 07:00

No Events found!