Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

April 9th, 2015 11:00

Vlan by subnet, cascading on 5 PC 6224

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie in this area and have a demand for separate VLANs in the departments of a company. The problem is that it is not feasible at the moment to identify all cables arriving at the switch and group them in order to associate the vlan to the switchport.

I decided to tag packets by subnet of origin, but they are 5 switches and i needed to do this at all. However, when configuring a computer with one of the address of one of vlan's i do not get any kind of communication. The switches are connected via RJ-45 cable into the ports 23 and 24.

I need the tag on a Sonicwall Appliance, so i have to cascade the vlan tag through the swiches.

What should I do to make this work?

It is possible in this way?

Is there another way without having to identify all cables and associate vlan's to switch ports?

It is possible to cascade the vlan tag through the cascade ports?

2 Posts

April 9th, 2015 13:00

Thanks Daniel,

i will do as you say and come back with some more information.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 9th, 2015 13:00

It sounds like this may be an environment you have inherited. The first thing i would do is take the time to properly document and map out the network. This may take some time, but in the long run it is going to make everything else easier.

Mapping software can help in getting a good overall picture of the network. As examples, you could use OpenManage Network Manager, or Spiceworks, to map your network.

http://dell.to/1xHjYCd

http://bit.ly/1F82H6j

This will at least get you a good start. The next thing would be to look at the VLANs and getting those VLANs to traverse a Trunk connections from one switch to another. The only way to do this is knowing which ports from each switch, plugs into another switch.

Once you get your switch topology put together, please feel free to post it up along with how many VLANs you are looking to implement. We can help guide the configuration.

No Events found!