Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 19th, 2012 13:00

Which 48-port 1GbE switch do I need?

I'm looking for advice on which switches to buy. I'd like 2 switches. I only know some switch basics. They must have the following features:

48 x 1GbE ports each.

VLAN tagging so I can separate traffic into 4 different VLANs.

The 2 switches must be capable of acting as an active/active pair for resiliency. Each of my servers will have several cables to each switch on different VLANs and I'd like to combine the bandwidth of these pairs of connections (1 to each switch) at the same time. Is that what "trunking" is?

I've configured a port or two from the command line on a Cisco switch before, but ideally I'm looking for a simpler way to manage and configure the ports. Are there Dell switches with simple web interfaces? I'm happy to learn how to configure the switches but I'd still like it to be simple.

Thanks in advance! 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 19th, 2012 14:00

There are several 48 port switches that will meet the needs you have outlined.

www.dell.com/.../pd

www.dell.com/.../pd

www.dell.com/.../pd

www.dell.com/.../pd

Each one of the above switches has web based management, incase you don’t want to use the CLI. And supports stacking, VLANs, and VLAN Trunking from one switch to another.  I would compare the spec sheets for each device, and the cost and see which switch would meet your budget and needs at the same time.

Thanks,

Here is a list of user guides for all PowerConnect devices.

support.dell.com/.../network

15 Posts

April 19th, 2012 15:00

Thanks DELL-Danile Co!

No Events found!