Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2012 07:00

configuring vlans via web interface

Hello

I have a PowerConnect 3548 that is currently configured with vlan1 (as it was out of the box).  I would now like to add a second vlan (10) and associate ports 47 and 48 to it.

So far I have added a vlan 10 to the device via the web interface by going to the following:

home -> switch -> vlan -> vlan membership -> add

I am now a little confused as to what needs to be done to add the ports to vlan10.  I tried the following:

• browse to home -> switch -> vlan -> vlan membership
  • select vlan ID 10
  • click the relevant ports from the list, they show up as 'T'
  • press "apply changes"

but I get the error

1      null      Unknown value      Port e48:Action is illegal in current Port Mode.  

Would any one have any suggestions as to what needs to be done to fix this?

The reason for the vlan is to segregate wired and wireless networks, both will have access to a linux gateway where wired will in theory connect to eth0 and wireless will connect to eth0.10

• 

6.2K Posts

July 6th, 2012 10:00

Hello rberg77

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the web interface, and I do not have a simulator for it. I did locate a post where someone encountered the same issue as you and a suggestion was made:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/866/p/18869336/19349609.aspx

Go to Switch -> Port Based Authentication -> Authentication Method -> Set to NONE.

The error indicates that the ports you are attempting to assign to VLAN 10 are in a state that does not allow them to become a VLAN member. Clearing the configuration on those interfaces should allow them to become a member. The post also includes the CLI commands for creation and assignment of a VLAN.

Thanks

6 Posts

July 16th, 2012 03:00

Unfortunately that menu structure does not exist on the web interface I have.

From a bit of playing around it appears to be something to do with the way the ports are assigned.

On Vlan 1 all the interfaces are set to "U" (untagged)

On Vlan10 when I click on port 48 to assign it to the new vlan, the first option is "T" (tagged) and saving this does not work.  However if I click it again it goes to "U" and this can be saved.

Being a bit of a switch / vlan noob, am I right in saying that I will be wanting Vlan10 to be tagged as the interface so traffic will be picked up by the correct interface on the gateway, in this case eth0.10 instead of the default eth0?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 16th, 2012 06:00

I believe tagged is what you want.

Something else to look at is that the firmware is up to date on the switch. This will help make sure the switch is running as smooth as possible, and we are not running into any old bugs.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Page 354 of the owners manual gives these instructions for assigning a port to a VLAN.

support.dell.com/.../en_ug.pdf

VLAN Port Membership Table

The VLAN Port Membership Table contains a Port Table for assigning ports to VLANs. Ports are

assigned to a VLAN by toggling through the Port Control settings. Ports can have the following values:

The VLAN Port Membership Table displays the ports and the ports states, as well as LAGs.

Assigning Ports to a VLAN Group

1 Open the VLAN Membership page.

2 Click the VLAN ID or VLAN Name option button and select a VLAN from the drop-down menu.

3 Select a port in the Port Membership Table, and assign the port a value.

4 Click Apply Changes.

The port is assigned to the VLAN group, and the device is updated.

Hope this information  helps.

Thanks.

6 Posts

July 17th, 2012 05:00

Thanks for the instructions re setting the VLAN via the web interface, I had managed that (as with first post) but can only set it untagged this way. As you suggested, I think firmware update is the first port of call as it is woefully out of date!

Then we'll see how I fare with the web-interface, or I may just man up and go CLI after that.

# show bootvar
Image  Filename   Version     Date                    Status
-----  ---------  ---------   ---------------------   -----------
1      image-1    2.0.0.29    13-Jan-2009  17:42:37   Active*
2      image-2    2.0.0.29    13-Jan-2009  17:42:37   Not active

Now to schedule downtime.....

No Events found!