Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 18th, 2010 08:00

powerconnect 2848

I am able to create vlans and add the appropriate ports for my setup, but I am having trouble creating a trunk port using the command line or gui.  Is it possible to put a port into trunk mode?  I can do this on a cisco switch, but this is my first time around with dell switches.  My googling and searches here have shown me cisco similar commands that can accomplish this task on other dell devices, but I can't seem to do it on the 2848. When I show the configuration it says that what mode the port is in, so I figured that you would be able to change that mode somehow.  I am not above using the gui to do this, but I prefer the CLI for configuration purposes.

Can someone please help me clear this issue up?  Thanks in Advance.

909 Posts

October 18th, 2010 08:00

Looking at the manual, it does not look the CLI is full featured.  You will have to configure via the GUI.

Use the VLAN Membership page to set vlan membership of each port.and use the VLAN Interface Setting page to set the PVID and other ingress characteristics.

909 Posts

October 18th, 2010 10:00

On Cisco switches trunk mode allows the user to put a port in multiple tagged vlans and a single untagged (native) vlan.

On the PowerConnect GUI, use the pages I mentioned above to accomplish this.  Powerconnect does not use the term 'trunk mode' on this switch.

3 Posts

is there any set of instructions around to accomplish this or is it typical to sell a product without any explanation of how to set it up?  your above instructions are pretty vague.  i know what a trunk is and how cisco does it, but you have to change the port mode in order to accomplish the task.

dell has managed to take this easy concept and make it terrible.  why or how they did this, i will never understand.

3 Posts

i still do not see any fields related placing a port into trunk mode.  i have my vlans currently set up using the gui.

thanks

No Events found!