Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2012 08:00

powerconnect 6224 firmware upgrade using GUI

I am planning a f/w upgrade on PC6224, from 3.2.0.7 to 3.3.4.1, mainly to improve PS600 iSCSI SAN performance.  I have found many posts on updating the new f/w via CLI, but do not see any on using the GUI, which looks painfully simple.  Can it really be this easy?

• I used the File Management >> File Download in the GUI to download the 3.3.4.1 image file using HTTP from a management server.
  • In File Management  >> File System, image 2 now shows as present and is indeed a different size than image 1
  • In File Management >> Active Images it shows image 1 as version 3.2.0.7 as active, and there is a "After Reset." pull-down to choose image 2.

So do I just choose image 2 and reboot the switch (not stacked) and the new f/w loads?  The life-long history of my luck would dictate that this is too easy, but maybe I caught a break?

Would also appreciate any imputs on using the Dell R710 as esxI 4.1 hosts with Broadcom 5709 iSCSI adapter .  Software dependent vs. Hardware dependent, which I understand cannot support Jumbo Frames?  Basically I am chasing down only nominal SAN read speeds (experience via backup, file transfer, etc.) but can get blistering write speeds writing from a physical server down to a SAN volume.

Thanks in advance

802 Posts

October 18th, 2012 11:00

Updating thru the GUI is pretty straight forward and looks like you have provided the correct process.  Be sure to apply any changes at the bottom of the page.  This is the same function in the GUI as copy running-config to startup-config.  

You can also go to systems>>general>>versions to confirm the current version installed on the image. It is always best to save a copy on the running config to an external device when updating the firmware image on the switch.

I would suggest posing your storage question on the storage forum,  they are going to have the most up to date knowledge on what options are best for speed utilization.

Hope this helps,

8 Posts

October 18th, 2012 11:00

Great, thanks.  Yes, we found the "Upload" option and already grabbed the config as well.  The good news is the switches are not stacked (yet) and we are light duty after hours, so we shoudl not suffer outage but if we do it is not high impact.,

Thanks again.

No Events found!