Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2012 10:00

stacking switches with HDI; does this work well?

I'm seeing and hearing various complaints in stacking the Dell switches with HDI. We are seeing speed issues on a set that are yet to be stacked and I want some feedback from the forum please. Thank you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 30th, 2012 11:00

I am not aware of any inherit issues with stacking powerconnect switches with HDMI cables. I found this other forum post that may have some useful information.

en.community.dell.com/.../19403453.aspx

What switches are being used?

How are things configured?

What kind of speed issues are you currently seeing with the switches?

One thing that can always help ensure things are running smoothly is ensuring the firmware is up to date. You can visit support.dell.com to download the current firmware.

Thanks

2 Posts

May 30th, 2012 12:00

We are currently getting 1gb between the switches and have a database that we need more speed. The forum states that hdmi were poor and people just went back to patch cables.

What about the fiber connectors; do these make a difference? The switches we have are all five series. Please advise on the above.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 30th, 2012 14:00

The 55xx switches have Two XG Ports (also known as Small Form Factor Plugable (SFP)+ Ports)

These are 10 Gigabit ports, designated as 1000Base-X-SFP+. The SFP+ ports are fiber transceivers designated as 10000 Base-SX or LX. They include TWSI (Two-Wire Serial Interface) and internal EPROM.

The Fiber ports will provide a larger bandwidth at 10GB vs the current 1GB. If you do not need a whole lot more bandwidth between the switches, you may want to consider creating a LAG between the switches.

Port channel commands are on page 383

support.dell.com/.../en_cli.pdf

Thanks

No Events found!