Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 6th, 2016 10:00

x1052 management from desk

I have three PowerConnects 2748 where I was able the below in italics so I was able to manage the switches from my desk.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-switches/f/866/t/19353942

"An option is to externally loop back a vlan 1 access port to a vlan XX access port.   This will allow you to manage the switch on any vlan.  Of course this burns 2 ports, not just 1.  But these switches are inexpensive, so you may have a hard time finding a less expensive solution just to avoid managing on vlan 1 or using the external loopback hack."

I tried to do the same exact thing on the x1052 but it wont work. Is there another way? I saw this post:

en.community.dell.com/.../19340218

but i didn't really understand what they meant. Any help here would be great. Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 6th, 2016 13:00

Have you tried to assign an IP address to the second VLAN, and then try to access that IP address to manage the switch?

4 Posts

January 6th, 2016 14:00

I'm not really sure I understand. I currently have 5 other vlans setup. switch is functioning just fine. If I plug into a port i have saved for management I can manage it, just not from my desk.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 7th, 2016 06:00

Does your desk plug into the X1052? or a different device? What VLAN is your desk a part of? Do you have a L3 device on the network that routes between the VLANs?

As an example, if your desk plugs directly into the X1052 for VLAN 2, and there is no device on the network that routes between VLANs. You could assign an IP address to VLAN 2 and then from your desk navigate to the VLAN 2 IP address.

If there is a L3 device on the network, then the X1052 should have a Trunk connection up to the L3 device which would then facilitate the connection between the VLAN your desk plugs into and the management VLAN.

4 Posts

January 8th, 2016 05:00

I will answer all your questions in order:

1. My desk is plugged into another switch on the network.

2. My desk is part of VLAN 2

3. Yes, we have a CISCO ASA 5510 as L3 device

I will try your last recommendation below and see if that works.

No Events found!