Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2009 08:00

1397 and WEP Failure

We have 3 E6400 with WLAN 1397 half ht wireless cards that refuse to properly connect to any WEP enabled AP/router.   They connect, will not acquire and IP unless I convert the passphrase to HEX,,,,then it works, we receive an IP and connect properly to our company network.....all DSeries with Intel 3945abg mini card work fine,,no problems all 10....any ideas to why these 3 do not work properly?   I have installed updated drivers, tried different ones, Dell support replaced the card in one I was working on,,,,same problem....Help...Thanks...

107 Posts

November 20th, 2009 11:00

Do you use any type of access client for the wireless at work? 

6.4K Posts

Apologies for the intrusion, but you indicated that the computers worked properly provided that you entered the key directly in hexidecimal characters.  This would be normal for WEP between two devices manufactured by different vendors.  The pass phrase concept was not standardized for WEP, only for WPA.  If you happen to be using equipment manufactured by the same vendor, you can use a pass phrase for WEP.  Otherwise you nearly always have to enter the encryption key using hexidecimal.

3 Posts

I am using Del ControlPoint at this time, I tried the Windows wireless utility, and the Del WLAN Wireless utility....

3 Posts

November 20th, 2009 13:00

Interesting,, I have a netgear wireless at home, I took two laptops to test--one with an Intel 3945 and one with the dw 1397 (broadcom) I can use a WEP passphrase, as the wireless router does not generate a visible hex key, on the Intel , but can never connect with the 1397. At work I can generate the hex key on the wireless AP............,I wonder why our Intel wireless cards connect to Linksys all older Dell wireless card connect to our Linksys, but only the 1397 does not, using the passphrase, I must use the provided HEX key,  not only at work, but also in homes or on the road if WEP is used… ---We have never had to use the HEX before until these three 1397 arrived….They will not connect using the passphrase on any equipment the others connect to…They work fine using WPA also……I wonder why they are so different than our other wireless cards?

Confusing..

1 Message

March 23rd, 2010 14:00

I just got a new Inspiron 1545 with the 1397 card.  Had trouble connecting to a number of wireless router using WEP.  I had no problem connecting to the routers using other dell machines or machines from other vendors.  It appeared the dell wireless driver is very particular about the wireless router configuration. 

I got 3 different wireless router to connect with WEP by changing the following advance router configurations:

authentication - auto

transmission rate - auto

CTS protection - auto or disable

I am concerned that if I take my laptop to a client's site because I can not change the client's router configuration.   Yes, I know that WEP is not very secure, however, there are still a lot of sites using it.  Yes, the laptop appears to work with other protocols like WPA without problems.  I guess their QA need to do more testing with WEP.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 24th, 2010 16:00

pmw7,

Try going to start, control panel, device manager, network, your wireles card. Under Advanced, change the Antenna Diversity from Auto to AUx and this has helped others.

Also watch this video about how WEP can be hacked.

Rick

No Events found!