Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2010 14:00

1500 Draft 802.11n Linux

Hi all,

I am brand New to Linux so I basically no nothing about how to use it.

I just installed Mint Isadora and I am looking for a driver for the Dell 1500 Draft 802.11n wireless card. I have found lots of information about it but nothing substantiol about getting it to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 10th, 2010 15:00

try asking over at  http://forums.linuxmint.com/

unless your wifi card is recognized "out of the box", you may have to do some work; it may require you to use the Terminal; be prepared

11 Posts

October 11th, 2010 14:00

Lets look at this for a moment.

Dell has changed the firmware so they can use it with there system. So broadcom no longer can support it. If you ask Broadcom they will tell you to go to Dell. If you go to any Linux distro they will say it's not supported so you should ask Dell.  So I now go to Dell and you say go to a Distro. 

So tell me, who would be getting the run around and who is avoiding trying to come up with a solution.

I am sure someone out here has run into the same problem and might have found a work around.

So lets avoid the obvious quick answer with no solution and see if others might have solutions and not dead ends.

Yes, I know that Ubuntu will have the drivers soon but I am being impatient and would like to have it working now.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 12th, 2010 07:00

Dell has changed the firmware so they can use it with there system.

HUH????

Lets look at this for a moment.

Dell has changed the firmware so they can use it with there system. So broadcom no longer can support it. If you ask Broadcom they will tell you to go to Dell. If you go to any Linux distro they will say it's not supported so you should ask Dell.  So I now go to Dell and you say go to a Distro. 

So tell me, who would be getting the run around and who is avoiding trying to come up with a solution.

I am sure someone out here has run into the same problem and might have found a work around.

So lets avoid the obvious quick answer with no solution and see if others might have solutions and not dead ends.

Yes, I know that Ubuntu will have the drivers soon but I am being impatient and would like to have it working now.

The laptop came with Windows, Dell supports Windows. You decided to install Linux. That's your decision. You had better develop some patience and be willing to do the work.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 12th, 2010 12:00

MrDX,

You may want to try the Dell Linux Forum, you might get a better response from there.

Rick

11 Posts

October 12th, 2010 12:00

I'm sorry, Please explain what Dell changes when they use other manufactures hardware in there own hardware. They must change or do something to prevent the other MFG hardware not to use a driver from that MFG.

Your correct I did choose to get rid of windows.  So now I am doing the work. :)  and along the way of doing the work, speed bumps pop up ranging from "try this or try that" idea that don't work and sometimes make things worse, and don't forget the people who only want to talk because they can and that clogs a thread with junk.

What can I say, I am stubborn at times, but isn't that what creative or clever people do?  Try and workout solutions because of the joy of doing so and the patience is all part of it.

Someone here on this forum might have been looking for the same solution at one time or knows about a solution from "wherever". 

So far no one else is commenting on this thread so I am finding no help here.

Hmm, I think this thread title was not worded a proper way.  Oh well, no worries.  On words and Up words I go.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 12th, 2010 13:00

MrDX,

I also read about the 3300 before the post was removed and my questions are...

Did you try updatiung the firmware in the 3300?

Are you using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11?

Did you try giving each 3300 a static ip address? I had a 3300 and gave it a static ip addresss near the top range of my network.

Also try p[lacing the 3300 up or a little closer to the wireless router or the router closer to the 3300. Only time I had issues was during electrical storms and power flickers. I would then turn everything, ISP modem/router, wireless router(if any) and the 3300 off for 30 seconds, then turn everything back on.

Rick 

11 Posts

October 12th, 2010 13:00

Pudgyone,

Thank you!  I did not know about that forum.

11 Posts

October 12th, 2010 14:00

Hi Rick,

Over the period I was using the 3300 (3 years)  I spent many hours on the phone with Dell trying to get it to keep it connected.  During that time we did discover that the Microwave, wireless phone,  wireless camera, electric wires in the wall and a battery charger had an affect on the 3300. So it's very "temperamental" with it's surroundings!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 12th, 2010 15:00

I'm sorry, Please explain what Dell changes when they use other manufactures hardware in there own hardware. They must change or do something to prevent the other MFG hardware not to use a driver from that MFG.

Your correct I did choose to get rid of windows.  So now I am doing the work. :)  and along the way of doing the work, speed bumps pop up ranging from "try this or try that" idea that don't work and sometimes make things worse, and don't forget the people who only want to talk because they can and that clogs a thread with junk.

What can I say, I am stubborn at times, but isn't that what creative or clever people do?  Try and workout solutions because of the joy of doing so and the patience is all part of it.

Someone here on this forum might have been looking for the same solution at one time or knows about a solution from "wherever". 

So far no one else is commenting on this thread so I am finding no help here.

Hmm, I think this thread title was not worded a proper way.  Oh well, no worries.  On words and Up words I go.

I told you where to get help --- the forums for the Mint distro you are using.

For some reason, only known to yourself, you seem only intent on complaining and waxing philosphical. I really have no clue what your problem is.

It is clear you have a lot to learn about Linux. I suggest you go to that forum and read and learn. If you persist in posting in that forum in the manner as you do here, you will not get any help either.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 12th, 2010 15:00

MrDX,

Cordless phones on the 2.8gh band are the biggest culprits, since they use the samw frequencies as the wireless routers.

I have have really good sucess with channel 11, 1 and 6 are also good so you may want to try different channels. I got rid of the 2.8gh cordless phones and went to different ones. I did notice when I moved in to my new home, the 3300 was a little on the edge of the signal, so I had to position the 3300 up to recieve the signal. I have my wireless router on the second floor, so signal is great throughout most of the home and also outside.

Firmware updates for your wireless router as well as the 3300 may also help. Firmware link can be found at Setting up the Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300

Rick

4 Posts

October 15th, 2010 06:00

Here is Broadcom's driver for Linux: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

11 Posts

October 21st, 2010 11:00

Vyaslav,

Thank You Very Much!  I will try it out as soon as I can.

Here is Broadcom's driver for Linux: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

No Events found!