Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 26th, 2012 21:00

17R SE 7720 Windows 8 n2230 drops wireless signal

My new computer was delivered December 21, 2012.  Imagine my surprise that I can't connect to my wireless connection unless I am less than 10 feet away from the AT& T wireless router.  There are 3 computers 1 floor up and 30 feet away that can connect, so I know it isn't that the signal isn't strong enough.  Please help me fix this so I don't have to send this computer back.  My Inspiron 9300 that I have had since 2005 can connect and I am using it right now.  Here's my specifics.

17r SE 7720

Windows 8

1 T hard drive

8 G RAM

32 G SATA Drive

Inter N-2230

AT&T internet wireless router.

The new computer will hook up when extremely close to the router but it does lose the signal occasionally even though I am only 10 feet away.

4 Posts

January 8th, 2013 11:00

All,  

A Dell Technician arrived yesterday and replaced the wireless card. The wire going to the card uses a screw for the connection and the screw was loose.   They mentioned that the reason for the intemittent connection was when appling a little pressure to the bottom of the laptop the wire would make enough of a connection to function.However, it probably wasn't the card at all.  

After replacing the card, I still could not connect.  I mentioned that I had performed numerous configuration changes that had been suggested before calling the Dell help desk and had observed the changes made by the help desk and had mentally noted that they had turned off an item that had never been mentioned in any of the communications on this forum.  

The Tech suggested we enable it and see what happens.  We enabled and it is up and running.  In fact it has a better connection than my old computer--go figure, the old computer is a 2005 vintage Inspiron 9300.  The problem has been resolved.  

Thanks for everyones help

December 26th, 2012 22:00

Hi beerman86,

This may be an issue with the network adapter settings or the power management settings in the system.

Use Network Adapter troubleshooter to resolve the issue. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows and x key together and select Control Panel from the list.
  • Change the category view to small icon at the top right corner on the Control Panel window.
  • Click on Troubleshooting.
  • Click on View all on the left side panel.
  • Click on Network Adapter.
  • Click on Next option.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot.

Also, try to change the power management settings by following the steps below:

• Press Windows and x key together.
  • Select Device Manager.
  • Locate the Network Adapter.
  • Right click on the wireless adapter.
  • Click on Properties.
  • Under "Power Management" there should a box which has been checked stating "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" .
  • Uncheck the box.
  • Click on Ok
Hope this helps. Do reply with the results

4 Posts

December 27th, 2012 08:00

This didn't help.

December 27th, 2012 14:00

I have the same setup and the same problem.  Wireless connection drops intermittently.  I have re-installed the driver, and Dell tech support logged on and could not find any issue.  All diagnostics are good.  Router and ISP are not the problem.  There may be a bug in the Centrino N 2230 as it seems others are having this same issue.

December 28th, 2012 02:00

Hi beerman86 / tulsamadman,

Thank you for the reply.

Please try to check the wireless card settings by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key and W together.
  • Click 'Device Manager'- Click the + sign to expand the 'Network Adapters' entry
  • Right-click the wireless adapter (Intel wireless or Dell wireless) and click 'Properties''
  •  Click the 'Advanced' tab to configure the advanced settings
  • Select Power Management, uncheck Default / Auto, and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance.

Note: If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.

The following adapter settings can be found under the Advanced menu. Please match the settings with the values given below:

Property Value
802.11n channel width for band 2.4 Auto (not in 20 MHz only)
802.11n channel width for band 5.2 Auto (not in 20 MHz only)
802.11n mode Enabled
Fat channel intolerant Disabled
Roaming aggressiveness Highest
Throughput enhancement Disabled
Transmit power Highest
Wireless mode 802.11a/b/g

Click 'Ok' to save settings and re-check the wireless performance.

Hope this helps. Do reply for further help.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2012 10:00

I have an Intel n-2230:

there is no power management under the advanced tab, it does have it's own tab but does not have any the items listed in your note,

there is no 802.11 channel width for band 5.2,

there is no throughput enhancement, there is no 802.11 a/b/g under wireless mode,  I

have made all other changes or verified that they are set according to this note.  This has not helped.    

Steve

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 28th, 2012 11:00

Steve,

The Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 adapter works on 2.4GHz ONLY and has Bluetooth

Rick

December 28th, 2012 13:00

Ditto to what beerman says.  those options must have been on an earlier release.  I am returning the laptop.  Dell doesn't want to recognize this as a warranty issue and there doesn't seem to be any solution.  Too bad.  otherwise it is a nice machine.

January 8th, 2013 10:00

Downloading the drivers direct from Intel fixed it for me:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireless/cwn-2230

July 24th, 2013 22:00

Hi Beerman, Could you please let us know what had been turned off and what did you enable?

Even my system has the same problem.

No Events found!