Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2004 14:00

3Com 3cn3ac1556 drivers not loading

I'm having a problem installing this mini-pci card to an Inspiron 4000 with Win2K.  I cannot get the drivers to load.  I have downloaded them from Dell's site and tried to install, but no luck.  During install, after pointing to the extracted folder, I get an error: "Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device."  I have three cards at my disposal and have tried all three with the same results.  Also, I have run Dell Diagnostics on both the modem and NIC and they have tested fine.  Any pointers?

BTW, I have updated the BIOS to most recent (A23).

John

7.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2004 01:00

Once to the Windows desktop, open the Device Manager and find the modem, then the ethernet adapter, and click on it and find the driver tab then click update.  Point to the files.  For the NIC, it is EL556nd5.sys and for the modem I list WDHABBG.sys

12 Posts

June 22nd, 2004 12:00

I finally found a driver which works here: http://support.buympc.com/apps/filelist.asp?ID=4683.

John

12 Posts

June 22nd, 2004 13:00

John,

The files I got to work are wdhabbe.inf for the modem and net556n5.inf for the NIC.  I got them from the download above.

Just for reference, these mini-PCI cards are DP/N: 052UUT, Rev.A00, 3Com combo (NIC/modem), model: 3CN3AC1556 (NOT B).  On the package (which may not mean anything) they came in, there's DP/N*SCISN*, REV*SCIREV*, MODEL NUMBER: 3CN3AC1556-D-100, ITEM NUMBER: 53524-HD.

I purchased them from eBay as new cards.  They seem new since they came in anti-static bags with matching model number stickers on the bags.

John

No Events found!