Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2002 16:00

Best Conexant HCF/HSF driver

Can anyone tell me which Conexant HCF/HSF V.90 driver is the best (most stable) for Win2K? I don't need V.92 at this time.

5 Posts

January 2nd, 2002 18:00

Quite honestly you're going to have to specify which you want... HCF or HSF since they are 2 different types of modems and have different driver version schemes. It also depends on your modem manufacturer.... Some manufacturer's have higher quality modems that allow older drivers to work longer than low quality modems do. All in all...i would say that the HCF 2.1.2.171.xxx driver family appears to be the most stable, best HCF driver available.

As for the HSF drivers.... the 3.00 and above versions seem to be good...although 3.05 started v92 (i believe) and then they jumped to 4.05. Personally if any has connection problems with the HSF and an init string disabling v92 doesnt help, then I have them usually try an init string to limit the speed and if that doesnt help, its turning 56k off completely. This modem has always had connection problem nearly all the time. It is akin to the PCTEL HSP micromodem (a POS in my opinion) and the Lucent AMR Soft Modem (scorpio chipset) that is on many laptops these days.

Both the 2.1.2.171.xxx and 3.05.xx generic drivers can be downloaded from the Conexant website.

Alex
www.Vee90.net Webmaster
=================================================
Any of information I have given is an attempt to point you in the right direction to help you connect better. I assume no responsiblity for any possible modem or computer damage that could occur from using any of the information or procedures given. Any updates performed while your hardware is under manufacturer warranty without the permission of your manufacturer could potentially void that warranty.
==================================================

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2002 22:00

The reason I ask the question is because I'm quite sure that when I received my Dell 8200, the modem was listed in the Device Manaager as an HCF V.90 (I don't know the driver version). While performing a Win2K update from Microsoft's update site, I was told there was a better driver for the modem H/W which I downloaded and installed. Now, the modem is listed as "Conexant HSF V.92 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem" and Device Manaager lists the driver details as:

Conexant
7/25/2001
Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

ATI3 returns:

SoftK56V_B2.1_V3.05.18.08

I plan to use the modem for sending/receiving FAX's only, however, with the apparent problems with V.92, I was wondering if I should remove the V.92 capable driver and install a V.90 only driver. Any advice?

5 Posts

January 2nd, 2002 22:00

You've definately got an HSF...there's no way an HCF modem could be mis-identified as an HSF as there are very fundamental hardware differences.

The driver you have is perfectly fine and is one of the latest 3.05.xx versions available

Since you're using the modem for faxing (send/recieve) then you should have no problems with v92 as it doesnt even come into play. Faxes only connect as high as 14.4/19.2 and most are usually connecting at the 9600 range... so you're prefectly fine.

Alex
www.Vee90.net Webmaster
=================================================
Any of information I have given is an attempt to point you in the right direction to help you connect better. I assume no responsiblity for any possible modem or computer damage that could occur from using any of the information or procedures given. Any updates performed while your hardware is under manufacturer warranty without the permission of your manufacturer could potentially void that warranty.
==================================================

No Events found!