Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2009 06:00

Blown NIC

So, I am at university with a Dell XPS M1530. During the night, the laptop was plugged into the halls internet connection via a eternet cable. A thunder storm resulted in the building next to mine being hit by lightning. Coupled with a power cut and fire alarms ringing, it would seem that my NIC was fried as i now have two perminant lights visable from the eternet port on my laptop.

I am wondering, what are the complications of a blown NIC card? What can i not do? Can I carry on using wireless features to connect to the internet (as i am headed home soon which has wireless and my accomodation next year also has wireless)? Will it cause further damamge if I just leave the 'fried' NIC card, or should i get it fixed? 

Any information would be amazing, thank you!

2 Posts

June 12th, 2009 07:00

The funny thing is, the wireless part of the laptop is worknig fine. I am connected currently in the library through the wireless network on my notebook. Would there by chance be a wireless card and a seperate NIC card? 

3.6K Posts

June 12th, 2009 07:00

What can i not do?>Connect wirelessly,if card is fried.It needs to be replaced in order to connect thru wireless.Also run diagnostic test to make sure nothing else is wrong(hit f12 at boot screen to select diagnostic test.).

I am wondering, what are the complications of a blown NIC card?>Just needs to be replaced,and you should also make sure no further damage was done to the notebook(MOBO,HDD,etc...).

Can I carry on using wireless features to connect to the internet (as i am headed home soon which has wireless and my accomodation next year also has wireless)? >NO,not without replacing the card.If it is in fact fried.

Will it cause further damamge if I just leave the 'fried' NIC card, or should i get it fixed? >No.But it should be replaced if you are planning on using a wireless connection.Is the system still under warranty.

9 Posts

June 12th, 2009 15:00

Yes the wireless is seperate. If your computer is still in warrenty I would have it replaced.

3.6K Posts

June 12th, 2009 15:00

The 1530 did come with a AT&T,Sprint,or Verizon built in option.

No Events found!