Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 8th, 2003 01:00

Brand New XPS and the integrated Intel NIC card connects to DSL...

...at varying speed.  Sometimes I get great download speed, then all of a sudden, it slows down to terrible speeds.  I have to go the hardware devices and uninstall, then reinstall, then reboot and it is fast for while.  Then it happens again.  I have installed the driver from the Dell resource disk and can't figure out what's going on.  By the way, my DSL is a dynamic IP, if that helps.  I do have TCP/IP set for suto detect.

Please help.

Thanks!!!

Mark

November 8th, 2003 15:00

This does sound odd - and you shouldn't have issues like this - you do have plenty of memory (>256M) in your Dell and lots of Disk space left....just in case is a virtual memory or pageing issue.

Try using a Download/Upload monitor such as DUMeter - to see if its your ADSL provider causing the problem

DU Meter display of poor connectionDU Meter display of good and stable data transfer

There's a 30 day free trial downloadable from their web site

http://www.dumeter.com/download.php

4.4K Posts

November 9th, 2003 23:00

I have tried everything, even reinstalling drivers and NIC software from the Dell Resource CD.

Check for more recent driver downloads from Dell. You can find them by clicking on the "Downloads" tab at the top of the page, then specifying your system either by service tag or system type.

Jim

November 9th, 2003 23:00

Thanks for the reply.  I have 1 Gig of RAM.  It's weird.  When I start up the computer, the internet runs fast, but after a few moniutes it slows to crawl.  The problem started when I formatted the hard drive to clean all the stuff from Dell of it.

I know the DSL line is good.  I have updated the Intel drivers from the Intel website.  I don't know what to do next. 

When I reinstalled XP, I used the XP cd that came from Dell.

Am I missing something that I did not set up correctly since the format?

I have tried everything, even reinstalling drivers and NIC software from the Dell Resource CD.

Thanks for your help

No Events found!