Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2003 16:00

Broadband-USB Modem V ADSL Router

I have a Dimension 4550 with a broadband internet connection in the UK, using a USB ADSL modem.  I'm beginning to run out of USB ports and since I'm thinking of buying a digital camera I was thinking of getting an ADSL router to use to connect to the internet, freeing up one port.  I was wondering if this would give any sort of performance boost to my internet connection since an ethernet connection between the modem and the computer would be faster (I imagine) than a USB one.  Also, can anyone reccomend a good combined router and ADSL modem?  I'm not bothered about the number of ports on the router since there's only one computer in the house and I don't anticipate getting another.

Thanks for any ideas.

October 31st, 2003 21:00

basically ethernet and usb connection to the internet would not be an issue because high spped internet can only go as high as 2.2Mbps throughput and both cables can handle 10Mbps in a snap. Depending on the ISP you'll be using, you may want to go with a Speedstream from Efficient Networks or Wirespeed from Westell. Plus for the router, go for a regular Linksys, DLink, Dell, or Netgear.

Message Edited by Bluecardinal on 10-31-2003 05:28 PM

No Events found!