Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2004 13:00

Broadcom Modem Driver Problems

Ive got a Dimension 2350. After updating to Win XP SP2 and installing Macfee Internet Security Suite, the modem has been acting strange.

I am able to go online via NetZero, but after going to certain sites (cmt.com ????) the page fails and I am no longer able to view any other sites until I restart the computer. I can go to like 20 sites just fine, but if i go to a site that generates an error, I can no longer go to any sites. Although I am still connected to the internet, and the control panel says my modem is working properly.

Windows Update recently tried to update the modem driver, but was unable to due to an error. I checked in the control panel to see what version of driver is installed and I have V3.5.25 installed. This is strange because in the Dell downloads section V3.05.24 is listed as the current driver.

This is such a weird problem, any suggestions would be helpful.

ps. the older "on hold" software is not installed on this computer, as far I can tell.

4.8K Posts

November 20th, 2004 03:00

SSArchit,

Since Windows had difficulty updating the modem driver, I would suspect a problem with the driver itself.  Uninstall the modem driver and reinstall it from the modem driver CD.

Steve

4 Posts

November 20th, 2004 10:00

Hello SSArchit:   I just wanted to let you know that I've been having the EXACT same problems with my internet connection, especially since the installation of SP2.  But it doesn't have to do with SP2; it has to do with the Modem Driver.  I have a Dimension 2350 as well, and I would suggest that you uninstall your current driver (that piece of crud that is v 3.5.25 which Microsoft Updates considers as "tested") and go back to your original driver from your Drivers and Utilities CD entitled, "For Reinstalling V.92 (Capable)/56K Telephony Data/Fax/Voice Modem Software for Microsoft Windows XP".  

I've reinstalled my OS 4 times in the past six weeks or so trying to remedy this mysterious connection problem that I've been having with my modem where my connection would seemingly die out within about 5 minutes of being connected, although I would still be connected, none of my applications could detect the connection (sound familiar, right?  :-)   )    So, go back to the original driver v 3.4.19.0  driver date: 5/21/2002.     I don't know about the v3.05.24 Driver that DELL has up on the Downloads site right now, but I'm going to stick with the oldest driver in the meantime until I run into problems or something.   I hope this helps you out and prevents the sort of headaches that I've had over the past few weeks.

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2004 10:00

Thanks for the imput. Its good (?) to know others have had this problem. Unfortunelty, over the weekend I reverted to an older driver with no success. So I then replaced the modem with a ZOOM 56K modem and the problem is still there. I swear its the most annoying and weirdest problem Ive had. To add to the mystery, if I sign on using an MSN account (friends account we used to test it) I can browse the internet free of problems. So Im concentrating on this being a NetZero problem and I hope they can help me out.

2.2K Posts

November 26th, 2004 19:00

I'm a former NetZero user. I did experience similar problems from time to time. Changing the dial up number seemed to help. Good luck.

33 Posts

November 28th, 2004 16:00

I had the Same problem using NetZero. Contacted NetZero and they advised me to go back to SP1 until they can find the problem on their end. Still waiting........but in No big hurry to Update to SP2 until the Bugs get worked out of it !
Switching back to SP1 removed the problem I had !

2.2K Posts

November 29th, 2004 21:00

While I don'tuse NetZero anymore, my dad still does... Strangely, he uses it with XP2 without problems....  I guess it's that randomness that makes problem solving these issues difficult.

3 Posts

November 30th, 2004 12:00

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. After speaking with NetZero they advised I turn off the "High Speed" feature and this fixed the problem.

"High Speed" is actually a feature that costs more money so it seems weird that it would be the cause of the problem. Anyways, I cancelled the "High Speed" feature and just use the normal NetZero and dont have this odd problem anymore.
No Events found!