Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2007 22:00

Can anyone help with home network?

Any help would be much appreciated... I just bought a Dell XPS 410 desktop with Vista.
Previously, I had a desktop and two laptops on my home network, all with XP Pro, using a cable modem and an Asus wireless router. Now, the XPS/Vista machine is plugged into the router and gets online no problem. But it cannot see the XP machines. The XP machines are on the Internet and see each other, but cannot see the Vista machine.
As far as I can see, the workgroup is correct on all the machines.

Any ideas? Or even helpful links?

Many thanks,

Rob

795 Posts

March 24th, 2007 23:00

RobNewYork,

First, download  this Microsoft patch and install it on each Windows XP PCs.

Next, open the Network and Sharing Center on the Vista PC and make sure Password Protected Sharing is off. 

On the Vista PC, you need to configure both Sharing and NTFS permissions.  For sharing permissions, use the Sharing tab to add the "Everyone" group and then give the Everyone group the permission you want (read only or full control.)  For NTFS permissions, use the Security tab to add the "Everyone" group and then give the Everyone group the permission you want.  Note that you will not be able to share system folders like \Windows, \Program Files, \ProgramData, etc. ever.

The above configurations will make Windows Vista File and Printer Sharing perform similar to Windows XP Simple File Sharing.

Most likely the Vista PC came with a Security Suite, McAfee or Norton or another.  You will have to configure the firewall in the suite to permit file sharing.  Check into the "Trusted Zone" or similar nomenclature.  Enter the range of IP addresses being assigned by your router.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2007 00:00

Thanks you are the man! It worked no problems.
If you don't mind me asking . . . what now, if I want to limit one computer's access etc.
Do I get rid of the "Everyone" group and add the names of the computers I want to allow etc?

795 Posts

March 25th, 2007 10:00

RobNewYork,

Yes, you can remove "Everyone" and configure Permissions for the systems and users you want to have access.  Drill back down into Permissions as if to add another user and click the "examples" link for a full explanation.

1 Message

April 15th, 2007 02:00

Is a similar patch necessary to make a network work properly when networking to computers with operating systems even older than XP?  I have an XPS 410 with Vista networked to an old Windows ME machine and the network works from the Vista end but not from the ME end.  Also any advice how to make printer sharing work properly through this network?  Thanks

795 Posts

April 15th, 2007 13:00

JayJayMan,

I am not aware of a similar patch for any OS earlier than Windows XP (and I would not expect one for those systems either.)  In XP, I do not believe the patch is absolutely necessary for File and Printer Sharing.  It just allows XP PCs to appear in the network map that is created when clicking on the View full map link in Vista's Network and Sharing Center.

I too have experienced difficulties performing File and Printer Sharing from Windows ME, 98 and 95 systems to Vista.  It is very, very, very slow and not all shares are displayed when browsing the Vista computer.  This problem has been documented and seems to be focused on computers running Vista Business, Enterprise or Ultimate.  This Google search has some links worth reading, especially this one.  I have not persued the problem extensively since file sharing from the Vista PC to ME, 98 or 95 works fine.

You did not indicate what type of failure you are experiencing with your ME/Vista file sharing.  If the above is not your problem, see if you have a third party firewall running (Norton IS or McAfee Security or other) on the Vista PC and make sure it is configured for File and Printer Sharing.

For the printer problem, one solution would be to connect the printer to the ME PC, designate it shared and then add it in Vista as a network printer. Another option is to get a print server.  Then the printer isn't directly connected to either PC.

Message Edited by _Paladin on 04-15-2007 10:18 AM

1 Message

April 15th, 2007 16:00

I kinda have the same problem.
My laptop can go on MSN and on an online game that I downloaded the first day I got it. But after, the Internet Explorer didn't work anymore... Is there anything I can do to make it work again?

1 Message

April 16th, 2007 09:00

Vylinh if you have your firewall turned on turn it off, it possible that this is blocking it

I have a problem with the Dell printer 3100 we have.
All laptops and computers have been correctly networked to the printer and they seem to work fine, but there is one laptop which is not configuring correctly.
Before anyone asks the IP ADDRESS AND THE PORT NO  have been added, and a test page was also sent to print.
I checked the status of the printing within printer & faxes and it said that the printer was printing... but nothing came out.

can anyone help me? :smileysad: because as you can see im not a very happy smiliey at the moment.

1 Message

April 17th, 2007 10:00

Just wanna ask if Inspiron 2650 have a WIFI. Can Inspiron 2650 access to a wireless internet

11 Posts

August 16th, 2007 04:00

Paladin:

I have been having similar problems accessing my non-Vista machines (Win2K) over my wireless network from my Vista Home Basic machine.  I was trying to follow your advice to RobNewYork, but I fell down at the point of "For sharing permissions, use the Sharing tab to add the "Everyone" group and then give the Everyone group the permission you want (read only or full control.)  For NTFS permissions, use the Security tab to add the "Everyone" group and then give the Everyone group the permission you want. "  Where will I find these tabs?   
Thanks for your help!
tmlynch

795 Posts

August 16th, 2007 08:00

tmlynch,

Use Windows Explorer and browse to the folder you want to share.  Right click on the folder name and then click the Properties menu option.
No Events found!