Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2009 20:00

Can connect to Router, but not Internet

HELP!!!  I have a home network with a wired desktop and a wireless laptop.  Up until 3 days ago everything worked great.  Now the desktop connects after having to shut everything down and restarting everything, but the laptop does not.  My ISP thinks that my network card is stuck on the routers IP address.  I tried connecting directly to the internet and still no luck.  Any ideas???

107 Posts

November 19th, 2009 05:00

make sure all your firewalls are turned off, just for testing. assuming xp as your OS, Click start\ run, type cmd hit enter, type ipconfig/release, wait for results. then ipconfig/renew. You should have a private ip address like 192.168.xxx.xxx.  Do the same on your pc, the ip addressed should be the same except for the last octet. from your do an ipconfig/all...look for your gateway ip address, try pinging your gateway ip , type ping 192.168.xxx.xxx, try pinging microsoft.com.

9 Posts

November 19th, 2009 06:00

If the ipconfig/release procedure doesn't work try broadcasting your SSID if you are "hiding" it now.  I have had the problem in the past where some machines "saw" the network and some didn't (when they should have).  Broadcasting the SSID did the trick.

2 Posts

November 19th, 2009 11:00

turned off all firewalls. have windows Vista. did ipconfig/release get message "the requested operation requires elevation".  Can ping my gateway ip, but not microsoft.com. Now what??

No Events found!