Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 12th, 2009 07:00

Can connect to interent via wireless but NOT ethernet cable.

I just bought a Studio 1737 w/ Vista 64.  I reformated hard drive and did a clean install of vista and all drivers, etc.  Everything works great, however, I can't connect to the internet via my ethernet cable.  Wireless works fine though because it's picking up signals and it can connect.  However, I don't have a wireless router at home.  Why can't I connect using my internet cable?  Did I forget to install something?  Is there a driver for the onboard lan?  I always thought ethernet was plug and play.  Any help would be much appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 12th, 2009 07:00

mscroft87,

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first, then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 12th, 2009 08:00

mscroft87,

No, your computer does not have a modem, my Studio 1737 Vista 32-bit doesn't.

Update the drivers for the 5100n from HERE, I did

Rick

4 Posts

August 12th, 2009 08:00

Thanks!  I did install all the drivers, in that order, that the backup driver disk recommended.  I have an Intel 5100 Wireless-N (1x2) Half Mini-Card, so I installed that driver.  However, I don't remember installing any modem drivers.  Do I need a modem driver?  And what would it be?

4 Posts

August 12th, 2009 09:00

Ok, thanks!  I will try both and see if they work.

1 Message

August 12th, 2009 09:00

YOU NEED TO INSTALL A NETWORK ADAPTER FROM THE DELL DOWNLOADS  PRO/100 NETWORK CONNECTION

4 Posts

August 13th, 2009 07:00

I'm all set now.  What I needed was the Ethernet Controller driver.  Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 13th, 2009 15:00

mscroft87,

GREAT JOB! Thanks for posting back. Glad you got it working.

Rick

1 Message

April 15th, 2011 18:00

I have a similar issue where I had to reinstall my OS and my ethernet isn't installing.  Laptop gets internet.  I understand the steps you gave to mscroft87, but what I  can't figure out is how I can install these drivers on my desktop if I cant get an internet connection to get to the Drivers and Downloads page?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 15th, 2011 18:00

troiade,

Download the drivers to the computer you're posting from. How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

Save the files to folders and put them on a fals drive or burn them to a cd/dvd.

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first(if applicable), then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

No Events found!