Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2008 20:00

Can't acquire IP address. Keeps getting IP 0.0.0.0

I have a XPS T600R running Windows XP Pro.  Trying to bring this system back online to the Internet - hasn't been used in a while.  No previous known issues.  XPS is connected through the Router and goes out through DSL.  Router is working for 1 other desktop, laptop and VOIP phone.  Have cycled both router and DSL.  Ensured that DHCP is enabled - yes.  Unstalled and reinstalled the NetGear adapter and services (TCP/IP, Microsoft client, etc.)  No solution yet.

16 Posts

May 7th, 2008 20:00

A couple things to check.. first is this wired or wireless?

If wired, when you plug in the network cable, does the green light on the network card come on?

after that, are you able to browse the network at all? can you see the other computers?

When you type in "ipconfig /all" in the console, you are getting all zeroes for the ip address, right? Scroll all the way up and then back down to make sure you are looking at settings for the network card. You might also be getting info for other devices like bluetooth, firewire, wireless network, wired network, etc... so make sure you are looking at the right one.

9 Posts

May 7th, 2008 22:00

It is wired.  Green light goes on and off as it keeps trying to acquire an IP address.  When I type ipconfig /all here is what I see:

Window IP Configuration

Host name = B2XRQ

Primary DNS  Suffix = blank

Node Type = Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled = No

WINS Proxy Enable = No

Ethernet Adapter LAN

Media State = Media disconnected

Description = NetGear FA311/FA312 pci Adapter

Physical Address = 00-09-5B-61-43-80

So, it indicates the adapter is disconnected, but its enabled and continues to try to find an IP address.

14.4K Posts

May 7th, 2008 23:00

your adapter is not getting a DHCP address nor does it look like it is even requesting one there is no DHCP listing in your ip config.

182 Posts

May 8th, 2008 06:00

hello

the bit you need to look at is "Media State = Media disconnected"

this is saying your network cable is not plugged in.

I am taking you have checked this already, so i would think a fault cable?

do you have a spare one you can try, or if needed can you go out and buy a new one, should not cost much.

or possible take it to someone who has a cable tester.

as if you did not have a dchp server your computer would make up a ip address, 268. something cant remember the the range but it is in the upper 200 odd.

andy 

14.4K Posts

May 8th, 2008 11:00

The media disconnected is normal. It shows disconnected on bothof my systems one is direct connected to the router the other wireless. I am not sure as to exactly what it is refereing to but that is not the issue.

182 Posts

May 8th, 2008 12:00

to get media disconnected mean, the computer thinks the network cable is not connected. and this would not be normal unless it was wireless then their is no cable to connect as to speak.

andy 

9 Posts

May 8th, 2008 13:00

Cables have been verified as ok.  Going down the path of replacing the Ethernet adapter at this point.

182 Posts

May 8th, 2008 13:00

that would be my next step.

as i only see this media disconnected on a wireleess system, and never on a wired system. 

Andy 

9 Posts

May 8th, 2008 14:00

Did try this....didn't do anything.

552 Posts

May 8th, 2008 14:00

You might try ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew

This will reset the router to see the nic on the affected system. Just a thought.

552 Posts

May 8th, 2008 15:00

@tasone wrote:

can you connect to the router from the pc with the issue?

This is very good advise. The PC with the IP address issue would have to be connected to the router and then from this PC, do the ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew command. You may already be aware of this but I mention it just in case you may not be. Hope this helps.

Edit: What shows on the screen when you do the ipconfig commands?

Message Edited by Boyd B on 05-08-2008 11:42 AM

182 Posts

May 8th, 2008 15:00

can you connect to the router from the pc with the issue?

182 Posts

May 8th, 2008 17:00

can you connect to the router from the machine having issues

If yes, then the network card and cable may not be faulty.

if you can connect to the router, does the router showing your connected to it? (possible firewall, antivirus issue)

if not, can you connect to the router from another pc (yes, try a new network card and cable), if not, possible router issues)

Andy

9 Posts

May 8th, 2008 17:00

I've done both....connected the PC directly to the DSL modem  and to the router.  I've gotten the same result where it keeps trying to get an IP address.

When I type the ipconfig commands, it shows "Windows IP Configuration" and then goes back to the dos prompt in ipconfig /release /renew commands.

6.4K Posts

May 8th, 2008 21:00

I have two thoughts; did you go to your LAN adapter Properties/TCP/IP properties, and make sure that your TCP/IP properties ask to acquire IP address and DNS server addresses automatically?

Second, I have had a firewall do this to me.  If you are running one, disable it temporarily and try to repair the connection.  Shut down the computer and reset your modem (unless you're still plugged into the router) so that the LAN adapter will properly transfer the MAC on start-up.  If turning off your firewall works you need to setup your firewall to properly accept your network connection.

No Events found!