Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2009 18:00

Can't get NIC to connect at 1000Mbit (1Gbit)

I have an Inspiron 518, Quad Core Intel, Vista Home Premium x64.  This machine has the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" network interface.  For some reason, it won't connect at 1Gbit; it will only connect at 100Mbit.  It connects to a gigabit Netgear switch, and there are other gig devices on the switch which connect at 1Gbit.  I have updated my drivers, updated the BIOS, set the device (to attempt to) force 1Gbit -- but still no luck.

Any idea what's going on and how I can get it to connect at 1Gbit?  Any suggestions for something else to try?

Thanks.

7.9K Posts

November 2nd, 2009 21:00

Grab the latest driver from realtek's website (www.realtek.com.tw).  It looks like it is 6.227 released in September 2009.  Also grab the Vista Diagnostic's program from realtek's website (listed with the driver downloads).  Hopefully it will allow you to test the card and the cable.

Speaking of the cable, I assume you are using Cat5e?  Have you tried different cabling?

14 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 03:00

I am using the 6.227 driver, and I also have the diag program.  All tests, including the cable, are good.  I am using Cat5e, and I tried switching to a different cable drop, but the problem persists.  I guess the next step would be to grab a gig switch and connect to it at my desk and see what happens.  

Frustrating!  

Thanks.

14 Posts

September 16th, 2010 07:00

Did you ever solve this problem?  I am in the same situation... 

Thanks.

14 Posts

September 16th, 2010 07:00

Ooops... never mind.  Now I see that I was the OP!  And I still have the problem...  :emotion-6:

No Events found!