Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2012 14:00

Cannot Find Any Networks

Hello all, new to the forums hope you guys can help me

I have a Dell Inspiron 518 with Windows Vista 64 bit. After getting the computer up and running after a power issue the computer gave me a message saying successfully installed some sort of human interface which I dont remember installing, after this message I lost my wireless internet connection. When I open the connection dialog box it says "windows cannot find any networks". I live in an apartment building and on any given day with the computer in the same location it's always been I can see at leat six different wireless connections however only use my own home network. Troubleshooting with windows suggested the wireless switch was turned off, my computer has no such switch. When I manually try to set up a connection it tells me that one already exists. In my device manager there was a yellow exclamation point next to my network adapter, though I cant roll back the driver and trying to update says it's already up to date. I tried to system restore the computer and it failed then tried to undo it then that failed. The other night I restored the computer to the factory image and figured I would start from scratch and I'm still having the same issue Windows cannot find any networks. I hope there is a simple solution to this someone please tell me what it is. 

14 Posts

February 16th, 2012 11:00

OH...that's a PC the Dell 518.

904 Posts

February 16th, 2012 12:00

PudgyOne,

I didn't install a card, not sure if I had one however I was able to connect to the internet using a cable from my router since this is not really convenient setup I still want to configure my wireless connection. With the cable connected for internet access everything seems to work fine and I was able to re-install my anti virus protection (Norton) and all my windows updates yet when I remove the cable I cant pick up any wireless signals is there is something I can look for while to connected that would help  

Hi,

Looking at the Log seems like there is a Wireless Network Adapter attached to the system, not sure if its internal or an USB device, could you please check if you have any tiny looking USB device attached in the front or back ? 

14 Posts

February 17th, 2012 15:00

The Reltek is your LAN card..Local Area Network

you have a Dell 15?????

laptop???

10 Posts

Hi, Sorry for the late reply

There is nothing external attached to the computer that aides in obtaining a connection, according to the model computer I have there is an internal wireless device, I'm not sure what it is I think that it's the Realtek thing listed in the log in my device manager I tried uninstalling then re-installing this device that's listed under network adapter though that didnt help

14 Posts

you have a cable modem, who is your ISP

We doing a laptop or PC??

\

904 Posts

The Reltek is your LAN card..Local Area Network

you have a Dell 15?????

laptop???

Dell 518 is a Desktop system. I believe you asked the same question in the previous post and you re-confirmed that as well....

904 Posts

Realtek is your Ethernet Adapter in other words your Wired connection.

Could you please post a screen shot of your Device manager? with the network adapters expanded

14 Posts

OK...You need a wireless hookup...cable..Cisco..a 1397 wireless adapter, os is Vista Priemium Home 64 bit.

10 Posts

February 24th, 2012 11:00

Ok, I know it's been a while since I replied, discovered that the router we were using was not working correctly, the only way to get a connection was with a cable from the router to whatever device we wanted to use, so ordered a new one and I'm still having the same issue. The new router (Linksys) arrived hooked it up and got all the wireless devices back up and running except for my computer. Installed the software on the computer from the disk that came with it and nothing.

I'm having trouble uploading a screen shot of my Device manager but under Network Adapters it has 2 objects:

Broadcom 802.11g Network adapter

RealtekRTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

2 Posts

June 24th, 2013 09:00

Rick I am having the same problem.  I restored my Dell Inspirion 1545 to the original factory settings with the Dell CD.  I now have no internet.  I only had 1 cd for drivers and it did not give me any options of loading them in order.  When I click device manager it says "no network hardware detected".  Any suggestions -- thank you so much

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 24th, 2013 10:00

Peg, '

I replied to your other post.

This thread is locked, due to age.

If you need assistance, please create a new thread in the proper Dell Support Forum

Thank you

Rick

No Events found!