Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

May 14th, 2009 17:00

Cannot connect Inspiron 1545 and Dell 1397 mini-card to Linksys BEFW11S4 v2.1

Purchased a new inspiron 1545 with the 1397 wlan card (running vista home premium sp1). Set it up to connect to my home network using a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router. I've checked the linksys site and can confirm that i have the latest firmware. I've tried everything...wep on and off, hard resetting router, etc...

the laptop will connect and access the internet if i hard wire it to the router. sometime the laptop will show a proper wireless connection to the router/network/internet, but the browser still does not access the internet. tried to ping the router (192.168.1.1) and i get either timing out or destination host unreachable.

i've checked every setting on the laptop and in the router configuration page. i have no problem connecting to the router and internet with my other laptop. also, took the laptop back to best buy and the guy at the counter was able to connect to his network without any problems.

i also tried the steps in the sticky at the top of the wireless forum here about modifying the registry key for the broadcast flag to no avail. I'm pretty disappointed with the attitude of the dell support reps i've chatted and spoke with...their only suggestion beyond the few basic steps was to pay for the on-call support.

DHCP client table in router page shows the inspiron, I just dont know what to try next short of having to upgrade my router.

24 Posts

December 19th, 2009 10:00

I just bought an Inspiron 1440 with the 1397.. Upload speeds fine...Download speeds very very slow about 500-700 kb

Router Netgear wgr614 v6

Also have Inspiron 1705...Switched cards and same problem.

Luckily i work for the cable company and have access to wireless routers...

Changed router to Netgear wgr614 VERSION 8

Now my downloads are at 20mb

I even tried to just do a firmware upgrade and it didn't work.

So obviously the1397 isn't compatible with older (Mine was only 3 years) routers.

1 Message

December 28th, 2009 09:00

I also purchased an Inspiron 1545 with the 1397 wlan card for my daughter for Christmas.  Set it up with a D-Link router (which works fine with my other two laptops).  The computer will pick up the signal from my router but it will not connect.  Talked with Dell and it seems it is not their problem.  Wants me to call and pay for their support services.  I have also tried to connect with three other networks and it says the same thing.  Two of the networks are only a few months old.  Not sure what is going on - wish I could get some help with this.  I have searched diligently online for the past 3 days.  Seems there are many people having the same problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  It just seems wrong to have to pay for service for a computer that is brand new! 

1 Message

January 7th, 2010 12:00

Had the same problem when my Inspiron 1545 w the Dell 1397 WLAN card not connecting to my Linksys BEFW11S4 v2 with firmware version 1.45.10, Apr 15 2004.  No need to return the Dell Inspiron 1545, nor buy a new Linksys router.  Here's what I did to make it work:

1) In "Wireless Netowrk Connection Properties" window, click on "Configure" the Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-card.  Go to "Advanced" and verify that IBSS Mode is set to "802.11b/g Auto".

2) Log on to your Linksys router.  Go to the "Wireless" tab and make sure "Basic Rate" is set to the non-default "1-2-5.5-11 Mbps".  Apply changes if any.

Should work now.  Btw, when the "Network and Sharing Center" window shows connection from the Inspiron 1545 to the Linksys BEFW11S4, Dell support will tell you that the 1397 hardware on the Inspiron works, and that they are only the hardware guys but they can switch you over to the Dell Solution Center to solve your problem (the way I showed you for FREE) for a "nominal" fee.

Let me know if this doesn't work.

Hummer's the Man!

1 Message

October 25th, 2010 15:00

Hi,

I also have an Inspiron 1545 with the "1397 WLAN Mini-Card". It has worked fine for the past 4 months, but now, all the suddent, I'm having the issue described here (the network detection but no internet access). While connected to the LAN with the network cable it works, also if I disable the built in wireless card and use an USB one.

I have tried EVERY suggestion in this post and in all the replies, and still no solution.

Has anybody found a sollution for this? How about the person that originally created the thread?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 11th, 2011 10:00

got this problem on 1110(11z) bought in Russia

No Events found!