Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2014 21:00

Cannot connect to internet after factory reset/restore

Good day, My dell inspirion E1705 was infected with a lot of malware so I reset back to the factory settings.  After having done so I am unable to connect to the internet.  With wifi my PC recognizes the network, connects to it, but I am unable to connect to the internet.  I tried to plugging into the modem (LAN) and one page will open, then if I click on any link it times out.  Please help.  I have windows Vista.

Thank you,

Sean

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 20th, 2014 18:00

I would guess that you are still infected by Malware. Securely wipe your computer with DBAN and then manually Reinstall Windows Vista (or Windows 7):

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/securely-wipe-your-hard-drive-with-dariks-boot-and-nuke-dban/

Note this is a Media Direct System so you should setup Media Direct partitions before installing Windows Vista/7:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/preparing-your-hard-drive-setting-up-media-direct-a-small-subset-of-dell-systems-only/

See A Clean Install of Windows for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 17:00

Mr. Yip, I appreciate you responding and providing guidance.  I downloaded the DBAN to a USB, then opened it in the troubled PC.   When I clicked on the file I was told the trial period has run out.   Any other suggestions?  Any chance it is an issue with the Drivers?  Please note, I am a novice at this type of thing so I am grateful for your help and recognize I may be punching out of my weight class...

4 Posts

October 4th, 2014 06:00

Mr. Yip, please ignore my previous response. I was able to successfully load and execute DBAN. Thank you!

Regarding the next step, Media Direct installation, I no longer have the CD that came with the system. I am going to attempt the work around you provided... 

Thanks again!

Sean

4 Posts

October 4th, 2014 19:00

Mr. Yip

I downloaded the 10 files from the one drive website and zipped them up in the 7zip application.  I next downloaded and installed the imgburn.  Here is where I have stalled.  the PC I am working off of does not have a CD/DVD burner and my attempts to load to the iso files on the DBAN wiped PC via USB have failed.

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks again,

Sean

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 5th, 2014 17:00

Mr. Yip

I downloaded the 10 files from the one drive website and zipped them up in the 7zip application.  I next downloaded and installed the imgburn.  Here is where I have stalled.  the PC I am working off of does not have a CD/DVD burner and my attempts to load to the iso files on the DBAN wiped PC via USB have failed.

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks again,

Sean

You need a system that has a DVD burner to burn the .iso to a DVD. I have not succeeded in making a bootable USB for the Media Direct .iso unfortunately.

You can load Windows on the Inspiron E1705 directly without Media Direct. This is perfectly usable except for the Media Direct application. Issues can arise however if the Media Direct button is pressed instead of the power button ruing the system's ability to boot to Windows.

You can also load Windows and install the drivers and then ImgBurn and use the E1705 directly to burn the Media Direct DVD. You can then boot to the burnt media Direct DVD. This will effectively mean you have to install Windows twice.

No Events found!