Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 31st, 2011 10:00

Cannot connect to internet, but WiFi Network connection seems OK

Hi All,

I have a 7 month old Dell XPS 17 which has a Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card). I have been using the wireless internet connection via my BT broadband package for months, everything OK, then suddenly the laptop can no longer connect to the internet.

All the diagnostic tools say everything is OK but the broadband modem is having problems. The other laptops on the home WiFi network can all access the internet fine, so the BT broadband IS working, so it must be the DELL Laptop, right?

The laptop keeps telling me to reset the modem, which I have done, but to no avail...it is still working with theother laptops, so this can't be the problem.

Am guessing that this is a hardware fault in my Dell laptop?

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 13:00

Hi, I tried the antimalware software...no result.

I use 'Webroot Secure Anywhere Essentials', which was auto updated on 25th December2011...hhhmmm was that the time that the internet stopped working...why yes, what a shock!

Basically, long story short, I have got it sorted out, and the internet is working again! Hooray.

In the network properties, on the networking tab, there is a 'Privacyware Filter Driver' which when de-selected, allows the 'internet' to work. A little investigative work on the internet brought up the link between this and Webroot. It appears that Webroot is making things a little too private!

Anyway, all sorted now. I guess Webroot need to be informed of this problem?

Big thanks to The George for coming up with the fix!

Cheers buddy!!!

7 Posts

January 5th, 2012 10:00

Here's the response from Webroot about this, and how to permanently remove the offending driver:

December 31st, 2011 17:00

rugton,

You powered down the isp modem/router and the wirless router for 30 seconds. Then power on the isp modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any) Restart the problem computer and try to connect?

Did you try disabling the wireless n on the wireless adapter?

Rick

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 03:00

Many thanks, but no luck.

I tried everything you suggested but the laptop still won't connect to the internet.

It CAN connect to the wireless network fine, and indeed accessed a document on another computer on the wireless network, and also printed to a wireless printer, but it just cannot access the internet. The wifi router seems to be working fine and the other network computers can access the internet, just not the Dell machine.

Is this likely to be a software 'setting' somewhere or is it likely that (...please excuse me getting all technical...) the bit of hardware that accesses the internet is broken?

All the Windows7 network diagnostic tools tells me is that the router needs to be reset, so it isn't really getting the right picture because the router seems fine. Here's what the tool says:

"the connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the internet is broken. The network gateway is accessible, but Windows couldn't receive network traffic from the internet" it then goes on to give the same advice as Rick, above.

Does anyone else have any further suggestions?

many thanks

Rugton

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 05:00

I am now getting the message that the DNS server is incorrect or doesn't exist. Not sure how to check that the Dell laptop is looking at the correct DNS name, or what it even should be!

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 09:00

all the suggested settings already reflect your settings.

Still no success.

:)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

rugton,

Start, control panel, network and sharing center, click on your network, then properties.

Look for TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6 and click on properties for each. Have your settings match mine.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

rugton,

Scan for malware? Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and do a quick scan. Report back if it finds anything.

What virus program are you using?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2012 14:00

rugton,

Interesting. Glad you got ti working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

February 19th, 2012 14:00

I am having that same problem and I wanted to know how to I get to the network properties on windows 7. 

7 Posts

February 21st, 2012 01:00

look in ...

Start, control panel, network & internet, network and sharing center, click on your network (it might be shown as: 'Connections: Local Area Connection', or something like this), then properties.

hope this helps

Chris

3 Posts

August 19th, 2012 09:00

Hi. I have a DELL Inspiron 15 - Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card and am experiencing the same issue.

I don't have Webroot, but my Properties are in a HomeGroup, and I'm having trouble locating the Property settings that might be causing this.

I had watched YouTube earlier in the day, shut down, then re-booting later in the evening.

The latest update involved Adobe Flash Player.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2012 11:00

Hitchguy7,

Did you try system restore before the Windows updates?

Rick

3 Posts

August 19th, 2012 12:00

No, before the laptop display is done loading, that's when an Adobe Flash Player update when available prompt appears. Like all the others, I tried to run it and that's when I discovered the inter connection was not working. Any ideas?

3 Posts

August 19th, 2012 12:00

Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a restore point. I'm creating one now, but wonder if I should check with McAfee?

No Events found!