Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2009 00:00

Cant get internet gateway back

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 Windows XP Home SP2......everything was working fine, then out of nowhere I had no internet. At the time I didnt think anything of it cuz I had my laptop that I used all the time. I have an actiontec router and a wireless links system. When I lost internet on my desktop the links system still worked. I didnt do anything to the desktop until I couldnt get internet access from my laptop and that was about 4 months later. I got my wireless back working and decided to fix the desktop cuz the GF was driving me crazy wanting my laptop all the time. I've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them numerous times. couldnt rollback cuz there were no files for it. Dell resource disk didnt help.I've tried everything I can think of and more. I'm almost out of hair and cant afford to lose any more. At one point a couple days ago I did get internet access and went to windows update and got all the updates I needed and more. Then out of nowhere just after I was done updating everything, the connection was gone and all I can get is a too low  connectivity connetion and cant access the internet.

I CANT GET AN INTERNET GATEWAY IS MY PROBLEM

I dont know what to do about this and I think I've tried everything, but I'm not sure so i'm here looking for ideas

Any help would be greatly appriciated, Thank You  herby007

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 15th, 2009 02:00

herby007,

If you re-installed the operating system, there is a set order to install the drivers. The notebook/desktop drivers first and chipset second.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

You said everything was working and you got updates and then it didn't. Did you try system restore?

Using anything like Zone Alarm, AOL?

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

I see you have XP SP2, any reason you don't have SP3?

Are you using AOL?

Rick

5 Posts

April 15th, 2009 23:00

Thanks for the reply,

OK nothing was working for months and then I got it working for a couple hours. I updated to SP3 and all the other updates that were available. I'm not using AOL, but the hard drive i'm using now does have Zone Alarm on it and I know nothing about it. I am also now XP PRO if that matters. Explorer 7  and  Mozilla Firefox are both installed on this hard drive. I keep saying this hard drive because I switched them and my original hard drive quit working. Oh and no system restore wouldnt let me restore to any restore point. I have Intel PRO/100 VE driver that at one time there were 2 of them and it kept saying that it failed load a componant on one then both of them, so i deleted all I could find and redownloaded it from resource CD, but it still doesnt work. Also when on auto config IP address it keeps putting up bogus IP addressses. I believe thats because I cant get an internet gateway. When it worked for the couple hours, I dont know how but I got an internet gateway to come up.

Thanks Again

herby007

2 Posts

April 16th, 2009 00:00

try to power cycle your router and your modem .Unplug the power for 30 seconds and plug it back in, this is called power cycling. i had a links router wrt54g & i had to do this a lot. if this does not work. try to hook your modem to the pc and bypass the router.then see if you got Internet.  if you do then it the router

5 Posts

April 16th, 2009 00:00

thanks for reply

i have done all of those things many times and the problem is in the computer. I can hook my laptop up directly to the modem and it works and is still working through the links wireless hub that is hooked to the actiontec GT701 modem or router which ever it is called. I've had my provider run me through all the things that could be thier problem but they say its the computer. I want to get rid of the Intel PRO/100 VE network stuff but I uninstall it and try and install an older driver but keep getting     cant start device error code 10

2 Posts

April 16th, 2009 01:00

try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104/    Description of Code 10-related errors. then try uninstall reboot then reinstall XP DRIVER. if you have not been rebooting. if it was me i would just back up what i needed &  format

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 16th, 2009 02:00

herby007,

There was an older version of Zone Alarm that disabled you from connecting to the internet after a Windows Update. The solution was to un-install Zone Alarm. Zone Alarm then offered a newer version that worked with the Windows Update, so I would try Un-installing Zone Alarm first.

Also try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router.

Also try...

WinSock XP Fix. This little tool will help to reset the Winsock files and try to get you connected.

Before trying again, power off the ISP modem/router and your wireless router for 30 seconds, then turn everything back on.

Rick

No Events found!