Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2013 10:00

Connect to Internet via Wireless Network Connection

I just set up a new router/modem from Centurylink (C1000A) and am having a problem connecting wirelessly to the internet on my laptop.  I have a Dell 1390 Mini-card.  The laptop shows that I have excellent wireless connectivity.  Is there a setting that I need to change to get my internet to stay connected? Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 13th, 2013 18:00

Kris,

This tweak you should be able to do...

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Try running WinSock XP Fix

Also try...

How can I disable wireless configuration services and enable the Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration services

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 13th, 2013 13:00

KrisC17,

Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router, I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

On your computer...

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Click on advanced. Look for Antenna Diversity. Change the Antenna Diversity from Auto to Aux.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

5 Posts

Hi Rick,

I tried the Winsock XP fix and it worked like a charm.  Thank you!!!

Kris

5 Posts

Hi,

Thank you for your advice.  I was able to download the latest driver for the wireless router.  I checked the settings on the router and I am using channel 11.  I also followed the recommendations on the link below.

I was unable to do the tweaks to my computer that you recommended.  I don't have those options under my properties. I'm using Windows XP.

Still unable to connect.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks again,
Kris

5 Posts

Darn it.  Spoke too soon.  A pop up message came on and told me that one or more wireless network connections are available, then I lost my connectivity again.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 14th, 2013 08:00

KrisC17,

Are you using any peer to peer programs? These programs usually create havoc with connections. Resetting the Winsock(WinsockXPFix) will correct this. It may have to be run for a few times before it comes back to being stable. If you continue to use the peer to peer programs, you will continue to have connection problems.

You can also try, How to repair a connection

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 14th, 2013 09:00

Kris,

I use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings I use channel 11. Iwould make a new SSID to make connecting easier. Don't use the old SSID name because it confuses the adapter and then it will try to connect to the old router, that isn't there.

You can go to...

Start, control panel, network and sharing center, manage network connections and remove all the connections to your home network and start over. They may also be conflicting and trying to connect to the old network.

Rick

5 Posts

January 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi Rick,

I don't have any peer to peer connections on this computer.  I didn't have a problem with connectivity until I got the new modem/router from Centurylink.  Is it possible that I need to disassociate the old Netgear router?

Thank you,

Kris

No Events found!