Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

January 21st, 2005 15:00

D-Link DI-624 router not connecting to Inspiron 8600

I just recently purchased the Inspiron 8600, so I'm new to this wireless stuff. The DI-624 is connected to my desktop through a Toshiba PCX1100U cable modem. For the first week or so, I have no problem accessing the internet from either the desktop or the notebook. The notebook connects the the internet with strong connection and signal on 2 floors up from the router. But starting last week (the 2nd week I've been using the router), the connection began to drop dramatically even feets away from the router (in the same room, 5-6 feet away). The signals on my notebook will just drop to "low", with 1-2 kbps. But sometimes, it will connect with a full 54kbps with a "very low" signal. Now, starting yesterday, my notebook won't even connect to the router when it sits right next to it. It says "Wireless network unavailable". I'm not sure if it's a problem with the router or the notebook. But the notebook can see other wireless networks in the range (neigbhor's).

Notebook details: Inspiron 8600, WinXP (SP2), Intel (R) PRO/Wirelss 2200BG network connection
Desktop: Windows 98
Router: D-Link DI-624 (C)

7.3K Posts

January 21st, 2005 19:00

Did you do any Windows Updates?  Like SP2?

January 22nd, 2005 14:00

no, i haven't updated anything on the notebook. but i have updated the firmware for the router after this whole  mess started to happen because i thought that it might had been a firmware problem. i just got my notebook now, and it came installed with windows xp home edition (sp2).

7.3K Posts

January 24th, 2005 02:00

MAke sure you have the latest driver for your wireless card, that you do not have the manufacturer's wireless utility installed, that Windows is handling the wireless connections, and you may need to remove the wireless adapter from the Device Manager, reboot and let it be found again, and see it that gets it working.  You may also need to search this forum for the Winsock fix linked in a lot of post concerning problems such as yours.
No Events found!