Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 5th, 2005 22:00

D6100 Wireless and docking station work, but direct connection does not.

Cannot get network access when plugged in directly to the broadcom network adapter. Network is fine via wireless or through the docking station. Have tried numerous network cables, ports, etc. (all of which are known to work) to no avail. Have tried to reinstall/upgrade drivers to no avail. Believe there is a physical problem with the adapter itself.

Please advise.

Thanks!

12K Posts

September 6th, 2005 07:00

Sounds like there is a configuration setting shutting down the adapter when undocked.  You need to check the power settings for the adapter.

4 Posts

September 6th, 2005 15:00

Where do I check that setting?

If it helps, it was working previously and I didn't conciously change any settings.

Thanks!

4 Posts

September 6th, 2005 18:00

The setting to "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" was checked. I unchecked it to no avail.

Would love to hear any other ideas you might have.

THANKS!

Trent

12K Posts

September 6th, 2005 18:00

Right click the adpater and go to properties and within that box, go the configure button.  One of the tabs should be Power managment and my guess is there is a setting for docked and undocked and if not, we need to look at hardware profiles.

12K Posts

September 7th, 2005 05:00

Right Click My Computer > Properties and go to the Hardware Tab.  At the bottom you will see a hardware button.  You should have two profiles in there; docked and undocked.  Investigate the properties of the card while docked and then undock and rebott and see if any changes are made to the properties.  I don't think you can do a "hot undock" and have that card work, a reboot would be necessary.

4 Posts

September 7th, 2005 17:00

Unfortunately still no go.

Are there any diagnostics out there that would allow me to test the physical port itself? I am beginning to suspect it is a hardware issue.
No Events found!