Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 26th, 2004 12:00

DELL IP # AND SUPPORT PROBLEMS

First things first. Am I the only person who has had a problem understanding the people on the other end of the phone at the Tech. support?  The company is Dell " USA" right?
Anyway. My problem could not be solved by the Dell "techs" who read me the entire chapter on internet connection problems out of the Dell handbook .
After calling my ISP (Comcast) and getting an intellegent person on the phone who spoke english and had computer knowledge, it seems that somehow my IP address was changed back to the Dell default. Now, my ISP has to come out to fix the problem. If he can't fix it , I'll be the proud owner of a brand new Dell Dimension that connot connect to the internet.
I guess I'm posting to see if anyone else has had this problem, but mostly to complain about the
service and the product I received from Dell.
I've been using a Compaq w/ Windows 98 for the past 6 years that did not give me a fraction of the problems my Dell has given me in just 4 weeks.
I bought a Dell with Window Xp Pro because I felt it was time to upgrade.
Little did I know, it would be a downgrade.
I give Dell a D - (only because buying the computer on-line was a breeze. everything after that has been a nightmare)

80 Posts

October 26th, 2004 22:00

What is a Dell IP address? Dell does not control your ip address your ISP issues that. Dell sells the computer to people they assume know what they are doing so how can you hold them responsible for what you don't know. I have had Dell computers for many years and have yet to call tech support. I don't agree that their tech support is in India but the net is full of information to help solve most problems. Has your isp told you how to release and renew your ip address?

8 Posts

October 30th, 2004 11:00

The IP adress is assigned from your OS, i guess it starts with 169.x.x.x
This indicates that you got no connection with your ISP:s server. Are you using static or DHCP IP? Probably DHCP.
Are you using ADSL? if you do, does your DSL light?
Does you nic light when connecting cable? This is primary otherwise you got no connection at all.

8 Posts

October 30th, 2004 14:00

ricism.
first off, forgive me for not being the computer expert that you are. I did not mean Dell IP I meant to say Windows IP (169). Second, I have extensive computer knowledge. I never had a problem like that before, so I was not able to fix it myself. And Dell does not only sell computer to people they assume know what they are doing.  The average person who buys a computer for their home is computer literate? what an stupid statement that is. I know this is the one board where you can go a act superior to others and it makes you feel good. But, if you're going to critisize people who need help ,then please stay off. You're not helping anybody that way.
No Events found!