Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 10th, 2007 00:00

DI 624

When ever a wireless client connect to the router most times it will like "reboot". I've been trying to solve this problem since July. Think it may be caused by over heating.

283 Posts

April 10th, 2007 01:00

I had a similar problem with D-Link 624 router. I found most stable firmware to be v2.50. Most of the newer versions seem to be rebooting all the time. Router also seems to reboot with disabled UPNP setting.

Overheating may be certainly the case as well.

Look up this D-Link forum and go way back and you will find valuable information about your router.

Hope this will help.
Ratz

385 Posts

April 10th, 2007 01:00

I had heat-sinks on my old "DI-624 rev_C" (my older son is using it, now)... it really didn't need them, but I had a few "RAM heat-sinks" lying around. I also modified the vents to allow a little more air flow...

But if you want to get carried away with the cooling mods and add a fan… ("click here"). ;)

What revision do you have? ("click here" - select your country and click the link again...)
There might be different solutions, for different revisions…
There might be a firmware upgrade solution...

Aloha,
Rod

Message Edited by Akule50 on 04-09-2007 05:44 PM

April 10th, 2007 03:00

It prob overheating. But I can't even get the older firmware (it's not available on their site) I have Rev B.

Message Edited by TheTechy_guy554 on 04-09-2007 11:28 PM

283 Posts

April 10th, 2007 04:00

Rev. B is older router with two antenas. You are right D-Link shows only one v1.33 for your router. I had a good results with "Hard Reset", although my router is rev C.

"If you have problems with the web configuration at this point, unplug the power to the router, wait 10 seconds, and plug back in. Repeat step 5. If this did not help, perform a hard reset on the router. To perform a hard reset, use a paperclip and hold down the reset button on the back of the unit for 10 seconds while the device is powered on. Release it and the router will reboot, the lights will blink, and then stabilize."

I held the reset button with power disconected and then conected power supply while holding the button down for 10 seconds. This was recomended to me on the D-Link forum and it certainly reset the router.

Ratz

385 Posts

April 10th, 2007 09:00

You can find older DI-624 Rev_B firmware versions on this site ("click here").

From what I've gathered, some firmware versions might need a "Static IP" entered if WPA encryption was chosen (DHCP unstable) or "Super G" was disabled for a stable connection...

Here's the complete "Talon88 Crash Recovery" Step by Step guide ("click here") that Ratz might be alluding to...
Talon88's old guide included replies from other users (with their rebooting solutions) ("click here")...

Aloha,
Rod

April 10th, 2007 20:00

I put myself as a static DHCP ip address will this help?

385 Posts

April 11th, 2007 02:00

I believe the only way to determine if a setting would help... is to try it and see for yourself (see if it produces the desired results).

I'm not able to be "hands on" with your router, so I can't really say with any certainty if it'll help or not...

For instance, Ratz and I both have "DI-624 Rev_C" routers...
Ratz found his router is stable with "Firmware version 2.50, UPnP enabled and WPA/TKIP(?) or WEP/TKIP(?)" settings...

I found our router stable with several different Firmware versions, but because I wanted to use WPA2 I had to get one of the newer BETA firmware releases stable...
I ended up using "Firmware version 2.75b2, UPnP disabled, logging disabled and WPA2/AES...

Two same router models, but different firmware and configuration settings to gain stability...

Aloha,
Rod

April 11th, 2007 19:00

NO, it just rebooted when a wireless PC connected.

385 Posts

April 12th, 2007 08:00

I normally don't do this... but this is how I would guess in setting up your router: (Note: write down your present "WAN settings" before you start)
1. Download the latest Rev_B Firmware (or one of your choosing) from "lizzi555's" FTP site, then right-click on the zip file and click "Extract All..."

2. Use the "Talon88 Crash Recovery" steps ("click here")

3. Log-in to the D-Link web interface, click the "DHCP button" (Home tab) and change the "Ending IP Address" to 107, click apply

4. Click the "WAN button" and set it up for your ISP (for DSL: change "MTU" to 1492)... you can probably use the default if you have a "Cable Connection" ("MTU" 1500)

5. Click the "Wireless button" and change the "SSID" to TechyGuy (no underscore or spaces), change the "Channel" to 1 or 11 and click Apply. (You can setup WEP or WPA once everything is working alright)

6. Click the "Advanced tab", the "Virtual Server button" and "stealth port 113" (select your country and click the link again)

7. Click the "Performance button" and change the "Super G Mode" to Super G without Turbo

8. Click the "Tools tab", the "Misc. button" and enable "Discard PING from WAN side", disable "Gaming Mode"

9. Click the "Status tab", the "Log button", then the "Log Settings button" and remove any "check-marks" (to disable Logging)

If you're still experiencing reboots... also try enabling "802.11g Only Mode", setting "CTS Mode" to None, selecting "Long Preamble" or the "TX Rate" in step 7, one by one (test period in-between each change).
You can also try... playing with the "UPNP Settings", "PPTP" and "IPSec" in step 8, one by one (test in-between).

You also might want to setup your "Administrator" password...

Aloha,
Rod

Message Edited by Akule50 on 04-12-2007 01:05 AM
No Events found!