Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2014 14:00

DIMENSION 4600i modem stopped now I can't reconnect ?!?

GreeTinGs

and

THANK YOU for YouR TimE

My DeLL DIMENSION 4600 was working as normal yesterday and it was raining hard , I was playing some music from hard-drive when all at once music started repeating like a stuck vinyl record ? 

( you do remember vinyl records I hope ? )

LoL

I came in room and to close down computer and restarted. All was fine until I tried to connect to the internet ? When I clicked in " connect " I get

ERROR CONNECTING

ERROR 633 

THE MODEM ( or other connecting device ) IS ALREADY IN USE OR NOT CONFIGURED PROPERLY " 

so I went to control panel and clicked 

" PHONE and MODEM OPTIONs " 

I click on modems to bring up page it states 

THIS DEVISE is WORKING PROPERLY

if you are having problems with device , click "TROUBLESHOOTING" to start troubleshooter.

So I click and NOTHING happens ? So then I click the upper page icon "DIAGNOSTICS" and click the "QUERY MODEM " icon and get

"THE PORT THAT THE MODEM IS ATTACHED COULD NOT BE OPENED. THIS MAY BE THE RESULT OF A HARDWARE CONFLICT. CHECK DEVICE MANAGER TO VERIFY ALL DEVICES ARE FUNCTIONAL."

I go to DEVICE MANAGER click modem and see  

UPDATE DRIVER, DISABLE, UNINSTALL, SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES, PROPERTIES. 

Modem is stock

CONEXANT Smart HSFi V.9 X 56K DF PCI COM 3

in SLOT 2 ( PCI BUS 2 DIVICE 1 FUNTION 0 )

So the only one that seems to apply was " scan for hardware changes " but I get no inFo ? none of the others seem to be helpful ?

ALL I can think is some power surge must have come through phone-line seeing there was a storm . BuT at this point I have run out of ideas ???  

PLEASE HeLP

this is my Main computer and must do something fast .

ThanK YoU again for your time. 

IRON EyEs

12 Posts

September 7th, 2014 23:00

`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°  GreeTinGs `°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

WeLL I and now type to YoU by way of the DimensioN 4600 PC once again

The newer ModeM is now connected and aLL is well , , ,

so far.

I un-insTaLLed all the modem settings last night , and after running the computer off and on just in hope any program that was running in the back-ground TRYimG to use FaX  , modem , eTc. IT would STOP , seeing there was nothing to connect too.

Soooooo 20 pLus hours later

I hooked newer modem in computer , turned iT on ,, iT saw "New HardWare" and then Loaded drivers oFF my ModeM HelPer CD . Then ran Diagnostics on iT from CD and aLL checked ouT Fine !!!

Sooooooo ,,,, what is the LessoN LearneD ?

# 1. IT's TruE !! best to disconnect in-lines to eLecTronics during an ELECTRIC or ThunDeR sTorM !!! or at least have surge protectors .

# 2. IF no-one HeLPs you just KeeP LooKing on-LinE , there are HeLPFuL SouLs sTiLL on the inTerneT , you just have to FinD TheM , or their old post.

# 3. Don'T GivE UP .

I am Happily LooKing at my large PC. monitor and not that small INSPIRON 700m screen , but with out iT I would not have been able to order newer modem  or connect to internet. so best to always have a back-up computer.

THANKs for your TimE .

(((((~PEACE~)))))

IRON EyEs   

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 31st, 2014 14:00

Moving this post to the Networking, Internet, Wireless Forum, here:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3324.aspx

Bev.

August 31st, 2014 16:00

This driver fixes potential system crashes when upgrading XP to VISTAIt is highly recommended to always use the most recent driver version available.

12 Posts

August 31st, 2014 16:00

HeY  FONDAMIDVIDEO

and

THaNKs for the repLy . I am confused ???

(a) WhaT "This Driver" ?

(b) I wasn'T upgrading.

sorry for my conFusion .

THANKS again

IRON EyEs

12 Posts

September 1st, 2014 21:00

GreeTinGs

o.k. update

Today I took out moden then put it back in , in simple hope that might change something and as LiFE goes it did . Now when I try to connect I get

ERROR CONNECTING

ERROR 797 A connection to the remote computer could not be established because modem was not found or may be busy. For further assistance , click more info or search Help and Support Center for this error code number

I have gone to Support looking for error code inFo. but after looking and trying I can'T seem to find just what and where answers a 797 code ? So I go back to computer and click control panel go back into

"PHONE and MODEMs OPTIONS"

and click on MODEMs it reads

" Conexant SmartHSFi Vx 56K DF PCI Mod... NOT FOUND "

O.K. this may be the LamE question of the post award , but

common sense seems maybe if I repLace modem with a another one problem may be FiXed , 

RighT ?

I ask you with better understanding of the working guts of computers

if iT is that simpLe ?

THaNKs again

IRON EyEs

12 Posts

September 6th, 2014 16:00

GreeTinGs

WeLL I found another modem with the same model number

Dell Conexant 56k PCI Fax Modem Card 5W416

and installed it today and unfortunately I get the same

ERROR massage

Now I have 2 modems and neither connect. 

So I am good for wasTing time and now money which I can't afford .

Sorry to bug Y'aLL

THaNKs for your time.

IRON EyEs

12 Posts

September 6th, 2014 22:00

When I run my MODEM HELPER  CD I get a

"com port conflict detected "

It says that I have a software application which is using the modem.  I  have nothing  no FaX or anything active or running that should cause a conflict ?

Error message =

“ Result Code 67 – COM port conflict ”

I have found a PosT here about  the above Error message and They couldn'T fix untill they put in a new modem ??? WeLL I have one now but still troubLes !?!

Soooooo ,,, I am ouT of ideas. 

I threatened CPU with a glass of waTer but Naa-Daaa .

he-hee-hee

I am going to un-pLug modem and remove from Device manager.

LeT iT set the night and TRY to re-Install newer modem tomorrow , , ,

STaY TuneD

if any one cares IDEAS much AppreciaTed .

IRON EyEs  

No Events found!