Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2013 06:00

DNS Server not responding

Hi

i have a Dell XPS 8500 with windows 8, Currently it's connected to the modem by ethernet cable

Currently i have cable broadband which is fast normally

occasionally it's slows for no reason

i have done a diagnose test on the connection which came with the following results

result of the test came out with the following which i am quoting exactly as it show's on my computer

"your computer appears to be configured correctly, but the device or resource(DNS Servers) is not responding"

if anyone can provide a solution to this it would be greatly appreciated

by the way connecting to my router through wifi is not much of improvements

thanks

1.5K Posts

April 12th, 2013 08:00

Hi massour,

You may try power cycle the complete network. Here are the steps:

• Power off the modem, router and the desktop.
  • Restart the modem first, wait for the lights to go stable on it.
  • Restart the wireless router now, wait for the lights to go stable on it.
  • Restart the desktop and test the connection.

Run 'Network Troubleshooter' on the system. Here is the link for the steps http://bit.ly/12cKajG

You may also try to reset the DNS settings manually if the 'Network Troubleshooter' doesn't fix the issue. Here are the steps:

• Press 'Windows logo key' + 'X' key > click Command Prompt (Admin).
  • Type 'ipconfig /flushdns'
  • Press the 'Enter' for the settings to refresh.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

4 Posts

April 12th, 2013 16:00

Hi

Thanks for your prompt reply

i tried everything you suggested, it didn't work

it's not a major issue for me anyway as my internet connection is typically fast, it goes slow on occasions for some reason

bizarrely when i do a speedtest at speedtest.net the results each time shows that my connection is normal which is i get the allotted amount of download that is available to me which is 100MBps

thanks again

john

1.5K Posts

April 15th, 2013 05:00

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing the information.

You may try using different browsers. If you are using Internet Explorer, then you may reset it to defaults and then test. You may refer to the link http://bit.ly/ry0f for the steps.

You can also boot the system to Safemode with Networking and test the internet performance over there. You may refer to the link http://bit.ly/XDksay for the steps to boot to safemode with networking.

Also, try creating a new user account and then test the system. You may refer to the link http://bit.ly/10h7xsr for the steps on creating the new user account.

Please share the findings.

4 Posts

April 16th, 2013 03:00

Thanks for your response Saharsh K

i have tried what you suggested to no avail

i believe my modem router is faulty, i contacted my cable broadband provider who provided the modem to come and check it out, so hopefully this will resolve the problem with my internet speed

Thanks again

john

1.5K Posts

April 16th, 2013 08:00

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing the information. Getting the modem/router tested is a valid move.

Do keep me posted with the results and reach out if you need any assistance.

4 Posts

April 18th, 2013 02:00

Hi Saharsh K

just to keep you updated

since my last reply i have found the cause of my problem

for some reason when i connect to my broadband providers dns server my internet slows, i searched on youtube to see if anyone had the same problem, as it happens their was someone with the same exact problem.  

His solution to the problem was to go into open network and sharing center, select the network connection, then highlight internet protocol version 4(TCP/IPv4) then press properties

After this is done you are given 2 choices on DNS

the first option is "Obtain DNS Server address automatically"

or

"use the following DNS Server addresses"

the first option got me to my broadband provider dns servers which is causing the problem i am having

What i learned from the youtube video was if i changed to the second option which is "use the following DNS Server addresses" and input the following dns server address "208.67.222.222 it will correct the problem i am having

Well after trying this DNS server address i can tell you that i no longer get the error "DNS server not responding" and my internet speed was fixed, no slowdown at all.

i contacted my broadband provider about  this and in fact was about to cancel the appointed with them regarding about fixing the modem router since my problem has been resolved.  After speaking to them on the phone they suggested i do not use the DNS Server that i mentioned earlier since it might not be safe.

They will be sending someone to try and repair it on the 27 April 2013. That where i am at the moment.

I don't know whether you have any information on this dns server address "208.67.222.222" whether it's safe to use or not.  When i searched it on the internet it came up as an openDns

Thanks

john

1.5K Posts

April 18th, 2013 05:00

Hi John,

I appreciate your efforts and technical skills in isolating the issue.

Many people use the open DNS server address and they work perfectly fine for them. But it is always advised to use the one that your ISP provides.

You are on the correct track, let your ISP correct this issue for you. Till then you may want to use the open DNS server address if needed.

Do let me know if you need any assistance from my side.

No Events found!