Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2010 15:00

DW1501 does not see 5ghz network

Hi-

I've had my Studio 14 for a few days now and it's working pretty well. I have a NetGear RangeMax 3700 dual band router. The laptop sees my 'g' network but does not see the 'n' network. I see through searching that some other people are having the same problem. I know it has something to do with this laptop as my wife's Latitude right over there on the kitchen table sees both just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

7 Posts

August 3rd, 2010 19:00

I have the same problem on a brand new Inspiron with the DW1501 card and a d-link dir-825 dual band router and spent hours with tech support. I have a studio that also has no problems with the 2.4 or 5 gHz frequency. Any thoughts

8 Posts

August 3rd, 2010 20:00

I've spent 2 hours with Dell and they can't fix it either. I've got a 90 day return option because I bought it at Costco. I'm not sure whether I'm going to return it yet, though. I'm not paying a cent for something I've already paid for!

2 Posts

August 7th, 2010 15:00

I spent the day in the forums, I have a Studio 17 just past the 21 day return policy, cant get the issue resolved today, have tried calling,emailing,chatting, all failed.....

I hope we all can get some help on this, its frustrating.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 7th, 2010 21:00

Everyone,

Not sure if this will help. Try

Start, search, type

quickset

click on quickset. You should get a screen that looks like...

Click on Launch control options Wi-Fi Catcher. You should see a screen that looks like this...

Click on advanced settings. You should see a screen like this...

Make sure the Bands to scan has the proper box selected. If it's the correct one, change it to 802.11bgn, click apply, then change it to 802.11abgn click apply, ok

Rick

1 Message

August 9th, 2010 21:00

No Quickset Application in my Studio 1558 (just the DW WLAN App), but I too am having the same problem. Lots of time with Dell support ... they even sent me a new DW1501 card and the results are the same. I am now asking them to send me a DW1520 (which I think is an upgrade). The reason for this is I also have an Inspiron that had a DW1515 N card that I installed in the Studio ... and voila !!! The laptop connected with excellent strength and a speed of 130 mbs.

So as I suspected, the issue is with the card itself, or most likely the Win 7/64bit drivers written for it. I'll let you know how it goes with Dell tomorrow, but in the meantime, if anyone else has found a solution, please let me know.

1 Message

August 11th, 2010 01:00

Having the same problem on a Studio 1558 running windows 7 with a DW1501 wireless card. Have a Netgear 802.11n simultaneous dual band 2.4/5 GHz router WNDR3400. The DW1501 link speed with WEP is 54mbps, if I turn off WEP and go with no encryption I get 72mbps link speed. This is only on the 2.4 GHz radio, the DW1501 does not see the 5GHz radio network. Because of the 72mbps link speed does this mean that I am connected at 802.11n with a degraded speed. I know the the 5GHz radio on the Netgear is working because my MacBook draft-N can detect the network. I updated to the latest driver however noticed that the supported OS is Vista and not Win 7, it loaded OK so was not concerned. Should there be seperate driver for Win 7?

I did locate the quickset app in c:/program files/Dell/Quickset. When I launch the Windows Mobility Center Wi-Fi catcher is not a selection. In the quickset folder there is a seperate app for the Wi-Fi catcher. When launched I am unable to check the box to "enable Wi-Fi Catcher Network Locator". Not sure what to do next.

8 Posts

August 11th, 2010 08:00

You're never going to be able to fix this. After hours of finally convincing the Dell rep (pretty disconcerting when you know more than the tech) that the DW1501 card was not designed to to receive a 5ghz signal regardless of what it says on the box, I returned mine to Costco and got my money back. I'm going on the hunt for an HP today so we'll see what happens.

14 Posts

August 19th, 2010 19:00

I have exactly the same problem. Laptop N4010, wireless card DW 1501 doesn't see the 5GHz network. It connects no problem to 2.4GHz.

I'm using Netgear WNDR3700 router.

Spend a few hours with different tech people, customer care and "in the limbo". Tech doesn't even know what I was talking about or when did understand, could not help. I asked for a new wireless card, different model to be shipped - they said they don't have any other wireless cards (!) The only option is to return the computer or live with it. I could live with it as long as I don't have to pay for it - I asked for a discount and got NO as an answer.

Watch me buy ever again a Dell computer!

BTW, the same issue was raised here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/p/19338428/19735018.aspx

8 Posts

August 19th, 2010 20:00

Good luck!

Buy an HP..my new one works perfect!

9 Posts

August 20th, 2010 03:00

What router are you using?

Thanks

8 Posts

August 20th, 2010 07:00

Netgear RangeMax (WNDR3700) Tech at Dell said laptop may not be compatible with it.

Dell SELLS it on their site!

Hp 5Ghz speed is 168mbps, nice.

9 Posts

August 20th, 2010 09:00

Sorry, it didn’t quote for some reason.  I was actually replying to PudgyOne since he's gotten it to work on his 1458.  Weirdly, on my 1318 which has a DW1395 2.4GHz card in it, it DOES have that tab on the wifi setup (BTW, if "quickset" in the search doesn't pull it up for you try "Mobility center") but on my 1458 which has the 1501 it has just the "Radio Control Options" tab.  Me no get it.

Also, this is what I got just last night from tech support on this card, though it doesn’t state data rates – odd.  Anyone got them?  It’s taken me three weeks to even get even this much!

Dell Wireless 1501 (802.11n) WLAN half mini-Card

Feature

Description

Form Factor

Internal PCI Express Half-Height Card

Card Type

802.11b/g/n dual band

Band

2.4 GHz / 5 GHz

Bluetooth Co-existence

Supported

Antenna Diversity

Supported

IPv6 (Internet Protocol version 6)

Fully IPv6 compatible

RoHS (lead-free) Compliance

Europe RoHS
China RoHS
California Prop 65
US EPA
MITI

Halogen-free

Yes

Wi-Fi LED

Supported

Wi-Fi Sniffer

Supported

Wireless On/Off Switch or radio toggle

Supported

Time Based Profiles

Profiles can be automatically deleted after a certain time period — Never, 1 week, or 1 month. This option is only available in Windows XP when using the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility.

Standards

802.11a
802.11b
802.11g
802.11n

SmartCard SSO Enhancement

Supported

WPA/WPA2 Pre-Authentication

Supported

Secure Ad-Hoc

Supported with WPA/WPA2-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access with Pre-Shared Key)

Authentication Methods

Open
Shared
801.1x
WPA-Enterprise
WPA2-Enterprise
WPA-Personal (PSK)
WPA2-Personal (PSK)
CCKM

Hardware Encryption

64 & 128-Bit WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
CKIP (Cisco Key Integrity Protocol)
TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Protocol)
AES-CCMP (Advanced Encryption Standard and Counter Mode Cipher Block Chaining-Message Authentication Code-MAC Protocol)

EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) - Windows XP

TLS (Transport Layer Security)
TTLS (Tunnel Transport Layer Security)
LEAP (Lightweight Extensible Authentication Protocol)
PEAP (Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol
MD5 (Message-Digest algorithm 5)
EAP-Fast (Extensible Authentication Protocol Fast)

EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) - Windows Vista

TLS (Transport Layer Security)
TTLS (Tunnel Transport Layer Security)
LEAP (Lightweight Extensible Authentication Protocol)
PEAP (Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol
EAP-Fast (Extensible Authentication Protocol Fast)

WakeOnWLAN

Supported

Wi-Fi Protected Setup

PIN
Push Button

Certifications

WFA (Wi-Fi Alliance) 802.11b/g
WFA WPA2 personal and Enterprise
WFA WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia)
WFA WMM-SA (Wi-Fi Multimedia with Scheduled Access)

Cisco Certifications

CCXv1
CCXv2
CCXv3
CCXv4
CCXv5^

Operating Systems

Windows XP (32-bit and 64-bit editions)
Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit editions)
Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit editions)

Everyone,

Not sure if this will help. Try

Start, search, type

quickset

click on quickset. You should get a screen that looks like...

Click on Launch control options Wi-Fi Catcher. You should see a screen that looks like this...

Click on advanced settings. You should see a screen like this...

Make sure the Bands to scan has the proper box selected. If it's the correct one, change it to 802.11bgn, click apply, then change it to 802.11abgn click apply, ok

Rick

1 Message

August 21st, 2010 08:00

I sure do wish I came and checked out these forums before I bought 2 Dell laptops (Inspiron 15r), thinking that I'd be able to use my 5Ghz Wireless N network with them.

Spent a while sharing my desktop with tech support last night, but other than doing some of the things I had already tried (re-installing drivers, changing channel for my 5Ghz network on my Netgear 3700 router), I still couldn't see any 5Ghz networks from the laptop.

While the Dell web site contains several documents which state that this card can handle 5Ghz Wireless N networks, most notably:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

and to a lesser degree (DW WLAN Card Features)

they appear to be sadly misinformed.

The DW1501 has a Broadcom vendor/device ID of 14E4:4727 device (you can see this if you view you adapter settings and click on Details, it's buried in one of the properties). On the Broadcom site I found the attached document:

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt 

which lists this device as the Broadcom product 4313, 2.4 GHz only model. Here's a link to Broadcom's page that also states that this device will only operate in the 2.4 GHz range:

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Wireless-LAN/802.11-Wireless-LAN-Solutions/BCM4313

I would love if someone could prove me wrong in what I'm saying here, but sadly it looks like this network card will never connect to a 5Ghz network.

It would have been jolly nice if Dell actually mentioned that the cards in these laptops only supported 2.4Ghz networks when people were purchasing them and if they fixed their documentation. If they had, I would have probably still bought these laptops and been prepared to buy a separate USB 5Ghz adapter. But the fact they chose to hide this information and in some places actually state incorrect info I can't help but feel a little cheated.

I felt the same way 20 years ago when I purchased a Gateway PC. That was the last Gateway PC I purchased.

8 Posts

August 21st, 2010 09:00

'sadly it looks like this network card will never connect to a 5Ghz network'

Proved this to the Dell tech a month ago. Unfortunate, it's not the tech's problem. Someone at Dell made this decision for whatever reason and has got caught. No more Dells for me!

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 02:00

This issue is also explored here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/p/19338428/19737816.aspx#19737816 and it does indeed appear that the 1501, despite being technically an 802.11n router does not operate on the 5GHz band.

As other people have expressed in their postings, I feel ripped off by my first experience of buying a Dell laptop, and I think it's disgraceful that Dell have not made some attempt at reparation. C'mon Dell, you are burning your goodwill here big time - how about some solution for this issue?

No Events found!