Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 4th, 2009 11:00

Dell 1501 Running Vista 32 Bit

I had to reinstall Vista on our Laptop due to my wife and I , forgetting our password to log on to windows ( havent used the laptop in 5 months ) , Anyways, Did a clean install , and i went to Dell to updarte my drivers. I updated my network card driver, and when it came to install the new set of drivers,all went well untill i had to reboot. after the reboot, i got a lovly BLUE SCREEN and the PC kept restarting. any help here would be greatly appricated. I have and did fix i,t as to where i can start up windows normally...im affraid to install the " Recomended Drivers" Dell recoomends. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2009 13:00

CNKBLACK,

A clean installation need the information I provided below.

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first, then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Also try reading...

Forgot the Administrators Password?

Rick

4 Posts

June 4th, 2009 13:00

CNKBLACK,

A clean installation need the information I provided below.

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first, then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Also try reading...

Forgot the Administrators Password?

Rick

I did goto the Drivers and Download page and provided my Service Tag , So being i reinstalled the OS , and everything thus far is working fine, all be it the drivers i D/Ld ...I have to DOWNLOAD ALL of the drivers in the order listed ? Hate to sound like a PARROT , just wanting to make doubly sure...Thanks for you Time and Efforts

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2009 14:00

CNKBLACK,

You MUST install the Desktop/Notebook Utility and the Chipset drivers first or the other drivers will NOT install properly.

Rick

4 Posts

June 8th, 2009 10:00

Did the step by step, and saved the Networking Driver for the last , and STILL i RECIEVE A BLUE SCREEN ... after i D/L and install ...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 8th, 2009 11:00

CNKBLACK,

At this point, I would try to re-install the Operating System using the factory image, if you didn't erase it.

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

Rick

4 Posts

June 8th, 2009 12:00

And after i do the Image Restore, do i follow the previous listed steps to get my WiFi Driver updated ?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 8th, 2009 13:00

CNKBLACK,

The Image Restore will make the computer like it was when you purchased it, drivers included. You'll need to get Windows Updates again. You will need to get your virus protection again and it will be like setting everythiong up from scratch.

Rick

No Events found!