Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2011 12:00

Dell 1558 Studio laptop

Running win 7 , My problem just started ( I have done a System restore) I can not connect to my wireless access point or my wired connection using DCHP?? Firewall is a non issue-does it enabled or disable. The wireless adapter shows connected but not able to access the internet ( CMD) 169.x.x.x.x shows The wire adapter shows the same (CMD) (please not at the same time) 160..X.x.x.x.x.x.x How ever I can connect if I open the internet properties and assign a valid Ip address (static) on either connection. I also have two other wireless XP machines that connect to the same wireless access point (DCHP) and work flawless-so I know it's not my router or ISP blocking the win7 machine?? I can only connect if I assign a ip address to that machine if I check do my settings for me I can not get on the internet?? Any idea's??

I also posted this in the laptop forum but thought it may be better placed here

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 30th, 2011 14:00

gl1800,

Just to be safe, power off the ISP modem/router and the wireless router(if any) for 30 seconds. Power on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then turn on the wireless router(if any).

Restart your computer.

Can you connect?

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

Also try running WinSock XP Fix

Winsock2 How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

Rick

24 Posts

July 30th, 2011 18:00

I tried all those suggestions (still no go) unless I do Static--it effects my wire port(on the 1558) as well-meaning when I connect my lan cable (dchp) no connectivity whe I set it to static ip It connects????

24 Posts

August 4th, 2011 10:00

No more suggestions-I'm connected but it says to a public ntework (DCHP) with no internet connection? When I set a Static IPaddress I can coonnect normal -The same occurs when I try to use my wired netwrok from the same laptop?

No Events found!