Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2016 12:00

Dell 1704 + Windows 10 = BSOD, even on factory OS installation

On both my Inspiron 15s, both using the Dell 1704 WiFi card, I get continued BSODs when browsing the internet and downloading files.

My first Inspiron came with Windows 8.1, no problems there. Everything started when I upgraded to Windows 10.

My second one came with Windows 10 preloaded, and the same problem exists from the first time I turned on the computer.

It seems unfathomable that Dell is selling laptops that are for all intents and purposes unfit for use, even after the first boot, with the factory OS installation!

The culprit are the horrible Broadcom drivers used for their 1704 WiFi card. The latest one available on Dell's website, version 7.35.333 still exhibits this issue.

I've tried experimenting with the Advanced Settings via Device Manager, to no avail. Dell support keep sending me links to the 7.35.295 driver, dated October 2015, which is also broken.

Dell should recall these laptops and either replace the 1704 card with another one NOT sourced from Broadcom, or hurry up and release an updated driver. This is totally unacceptable!

February 20th, 2016 20:00

Pretty sure this is a driver issue only. I just started having trouble with my XPS 13 (model 9343) a few days ago, and it turns out that Win10 pushed a new driver right when my trouble started. The new driver was 7.35.333.0, with a date of 12/1/2015, and I was getting intermittent connectivity issues as well as bluescreens. Rolling back the driver fixed the issue, and I was returned to 6.30.223.234, dated 2/24/2014. My guess is a bad Broadcom driver that applies to multiple Broadcom chips, and only affects some specific configurations, hence why this thread was the only one I could find that was even relevant.

1 Message

April 13th, 2016 05:00

Same problem with my Dell XPS 13; WIndows10 + Broadcom driver 7.35.333 = BSOD after BSOD.

Rolling back and using driver version 6.30.223.256 somewhat solves the problem but I still have to rest my IP using netsh commands and certain changes to regedit (which for some curious reason does not stick, and must be made every time I need to reset the IP).

Dell really needs to address the issue and fix the problem because this one problem is rendering the otherwise nice laptop near unusable.

No Events found!