Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2008 13:00

Dell ControlPoint Connection Manager causes WiFi to drop connection

Some Latitude E series users may experience dropped WWAN connections when opening Dell ControlPoint Connection Manager software. This issue has been addressed with the latest CPCM software, rev A08. Later versions are available under the Applications sections for your system type at Dell's Drivers and Downloads page.

If you are experiencing dropped WWAN connections on the E-series Latitudes when opening Dell ControlPoint Connection Manager, we urge you to update to rev A08. Please note you must uninstall the current version before installing A08, as it does not support an upgrade installation.

"You must uninstall any previous version of Dell ControlPoint Connection Manager before you can install this version of the software. This version does not support upgrading from a previous version."

Also note that the "compatability" section of the driver description states rev A08 is for E4300 and E4200 only. I can confirm this file works for all E series, and we are working on getting the file web posted and the verbiage changed to include all E series Latitudes.

Message Edited by DELL-Bill B on 10-03-2008 08:42 AM

2 Posts

December 7th, 2008 12:00

Well I just received my E6400 64bit OS and it is running DCP 8.0 and the wireless does not work.  Disconnects after a few seconds???

Why is Dell water boarding its most valuable customer base?  Driving us to the competition by trying to "CONTROL" our computer interface?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 12th, 2008 07:00

Some notes on DCP to take back to your code-hounds and dev team:

1) The Connection Manager component is a FOUR HUNDRED MEG D/L. As in 2/3rds of a CD. Please make it a base install from the CD updateable from the support site, as opposed to the "Graphics Card" model of driver support that requires a rip out and clean install from scratch.  Yes, most of us have broadband. No, not all of us have the patience or time to wait for that beast.

2) I keep hearing "soon" as to when the DCP patch to allow it to control Wireless is coming down the pipe. On that same token, how is DCP affecting Wireless if it does no have a plugin module for doing so?

3) While a great idea in theory as an upgrade and replacment of QuickSet, DCP needed some more shake down. It is buggy and prone to blow up at random, shutting itself down. More so under Vista but still does it on XP. And yes, I am talking default installs with no OEM third party software, as well as clean reinstalls with only the support site drivers. If this is a system for sale, why is the Dell DCP for managing aspects of it buggy still?

3 Posts

December 18th, 2008 10:00

I have a W6400 - Apparently the latest version of control point does not deal with wifi.

At work, I have a very clear wifi connection and I'm still dropping and reconnection.

All other wifi networks - with one exception - a SSID not broadcast (can't be excluded) have been excluded.

I'm managing wireless via Intel Proset Utility....

December 30th, 2008 21:00

I am facing latancy problem with the dell XPS,latitude d520 when I am using wireless. But the same time dell inspiron 8600.

February 4th, 2009 08:00

I had control point on my system, a new Precision M4400. It wouldn't let me use the WLAN utility which is what I prefer to use for wireless connection management. I ended up using the control point to connect initially, but I see no good reason to have a large utility control another utility  (that actually is on top of another utility ZEN).

So I perhaps foolishly removed the Control Point software. This did not allow me to use the WLAN utility though, it is still broken. The solution for me was to unistall the Dell WLAN utility as well and just use Windows ZEN.

I'm quite disappointed, as well there are still registry keys floating around with UCM and Control Point.

This is apparently on ongoing problem, as I see this thread goes back to 2008.

February 20th, 2009 08:00

I manage computers & network at local library.

Yesterday, we received a new E-5400 laptop.

Began setup; things seemed normal; system was downloading updates via our wireless, but then the connection dropped.

After some frustrating time spent able to see our WAP but not connect, suddenly it would connect, work for a while, then drop again.

I guess I'll uninstall all the Dell junkware and see if I can get Windows to recognize the Dell wireless in the laptop. If so, I'm sure we'll have no trouble, as we have no trouble with our our other systems just using Windows to manage networks.

Why is Dell loading this stuff by default??  Better practice: load as little as possible; offer other software for folks to load at their option.

- David

February 20th, 2009 18:00

UPDATE

This morning, using Control Panel, Add/remove programs, I uninstalled all instances of Dell ControlPoint, as well as the Dell wireless app.

Upon reboot, the laptop immediately recognized the wireless hardware, and the wireless connection has worked well since.

Register another vote against Dell's un-needed pre-installed software. In this case, it was not only un-needed, but actually caused problems.

After downloading many updates, and installing some of our software, I can say I'm pleased with the laptop's performance and look forward to years of reliable use at our library,

- David

19 Posts

May 3rd, 2009 22:00

Mine drops randomly for absolutely no reason and I have the latest software. Is there any way to NOT use Connection manager for the wifi and still be able to use the A&T Mobile Broadband connection? The only way I could find to get the AT&T connection working was to install this rediculous application. I can't use wifi with it, I can't use Mobile Broadband without it. Just stupid.

19 Posts

May 3rd, 2009 23:00

Found this for controling the connection on the mobile broadband for AT&T

http://ftp.us.dell.com/comm/DELL_WIRELESS-5530-HSPA-MINI_A00_R198215.exe

Latitude E6400 HSPA 5530 Mobile Broadband Minicard

Simple toggle connect / disconnect utility.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2009 11:00

the solution that I found was to uninstall ALL the dell connection management software BECAUSE you can't edit locations, you have to search and hunt for the location manager to edit the preferred networks, and NO way to remove previous connections: this comes in handy if you accidently join "linksys" and then everybody in the world pulls the linksys out of the box and doesn't configure it so your computer is always looking to join linksys.

please uninstall it and it shouldn't remove drivers for network cards....

1 Message

June 15th, 2009 14:00

I just received a new Dell Latitude E6400. I also have an AT&T internal SIM for celluar access. I downloaded Dell ControlPoint to control internal SIM and WiFi (v8). SIM worked fine. However, I can not get the WiFi working at all. I used WPAPSK encryption. All other PCs work w WiFi. Did this download allow you to remove Dell ControlPoint, get a cellular connection and use the WiFi?  Thanks,

19 Posts

June 15th, 2009 14:00

It did for me. Worked like a charm.

July 7th, 2009 09:00

Bill, the link to the CPCM software, rev A08 is broken. Can you please fix?

Thanks,

Chris

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 7th, 2009 13:00

Chris,

Why don't you just walk over and give Bill a nudge, since you're in Round Rock, Tx, too, just kidding. Sometimes Bill gets very busy and I know he hasn't spent as much time at the forums like he would like. See if this will help you.

Dell Control Point can be downloaded from Drivers & Downloads, enter your service tag number(if the website doesn't do this for you) and look under applications. Dell Control Point and all the other applications you need can be found there.

Rick

No Events found!