Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2012 00:00

Dell Inspiron 5520 laptop unable to connect to internet via Wifi

I bought Dell Inspiron 5520 two weeks ago in Dubai, UAE. 

My Internet was working fine first couple of days but since past 4 days I am not able to connect to internet via Wifi (however there are other laptops i.e. HP and Dell) that are able to use the same Wifi to connect to internet but my brand new Dell us not able. 

Can anyone please help me? I am not quite techie, only understand very basics of this whole laptop (hardware and softwares etc) 

I have Windows 7 and McAfee pre-installed. 

August 21st, 2012 07:00

Hi OptimisticSimplicity,

This could be because of a security update; the DNS (Domain Name System) settings may be corrupted. As the system was able to connect to the internet 4 days ago, you can try to run a ‘System restore’ to a known good date when the internet was last working and then perform the Windows update and the MacAfee update. Please use the link below, which explains how to perform a system restore in Windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/system-restore

For your information, System restore will not delete any personal data; however it will delete any programs, windows updates or any other updates that took place recently. For example, if you are selecting the restore point to be the 15th of August, any programs installed to date after the 15th will be removed.

• Once the system restore is complete, please check the internet connectivity.
  • Please do run Windows 7 updates and MacAfee updates.
  • To update McAfee please right click on the icon and select ‘Update’ option.
  • In case you would like to update the Windows 7 as well please use the link provided below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/Install-Windows-updates

I hope this helps. Please do write back in case you need any further assistance on the same.

Thanks & Regards

Swapnajan MC

#iworkfordell

December 3rd, 2012 07:00

I got a dell 5520 with Windows 8 preloaded on it and I have the exact same problem.  I can fix it by right clicking the WiFi icon in the lower right hand part of the screen, can clicking "Troubleshoot Problems" and it fixes it for another 10 minutes, but then it just happens again...this is getting annoying, I bet it's Windows 8 driver incompatibility issues.

Anyone find a fix for this that works permanently?

August 21st, 2012 01:00

OMG I am having the exact same issue, I only bought my laptop 2 weeks ago (around 5th August 2012 in Dubai, UAE) and I was able to connect to wifi and use internet until few only 4 or 5 days back it stopped working.  It is connected with the wireless router, but not to the internet.  There are other computers in the wireless network that have no problem connecting to the internet, so I know my router and DSL modem are functioning properly.  When I run diagnostic (troubleshoot) it says Problem Found: "The DNS server isn't responding" I dont know what it means?

In "Network and Sharing Center" at the left bottom there are few options, I clicked on "Intel PROSet/Wireless Tools, a pop up windows opens and it has a "Diagnostics" section, there are few options, I clicked on Diagnostic and there is another pop window opens "Manual Diagnostic Tool" and it says "run tests" which i clicked and here are the results:

Hardware Test                Pass    Wireless Hardware is enabled

Driver Test                       Pass     Driver is loaded. Net wNs64 Version 15.0.0.75

Radio Test                       Pass     Radio is ON

Scan Test                        Pass      There are 5 networks available to connect

Association Test            Pass       Associated

Authentication Test        Pass       Authenticated

Signal Test                      Pass       Signal Quality: Excellent

Ping Test                         Failed       No Response: default gateway, DHCP server

I have windows 7 and McAfee pre-Installed.  please can you help me?

August 21st, 2012 08:00

Hi Swapnajan MC!

Thanks for the valued information and feed back. I did try the step you told me i.e. system restore. to a automatic restore point something and a  recommended date (recommended in that box that appeared in system restore) it was August 19, 2012. and after restarting my laptop the internet has started to work (via wifi since i only tried wifi so far) and I am really happy about it. And really really appreciate your help.

I now just have updated McAfee as you mentioned and now will be updating windows 7 too in a minute. and I hope after these updates my internet will continue to work :)

Thanks again

August 22nd, 2012 14:00

Hi OptimisticSimplicity,

Thank you for your reply and the update. I am glad that you were able to follow the steps and fix the issue. Please feel free to reply in case you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
Swapnajan MC
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

August 27th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

(From Qatar My laptop is inspiron 5520 new one just one month old)

Please I have similar problem like that ( my wireless is working but in very closed distance to the connection point, if I change the site to about 5 or 6 metter from

the connection site, the Internet become interrupted, can you help me please !

note: I did system restore and update for MecAFee

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

August 29th, 2012 14:00

Hi alboss2005,

Updating the latest drivers may fix this issue. Please update the wireless card drivers by visiting the following link:

http://dell.to/TvHqK6

On the website, click on “Network.” Select the appropriate network card, download and install the driver.  If you face the same issue again, please follow the steps provided below.

Click ‘Start’>> Type ‘Device Manager’ in the ‘Start Search’ >> Expand the ‘Network Adapters’ in the ‘Device Manager’ >> Right click on the ‘Wireless Network Adapter’ >> Click on ‘Properties’>>’Advanced’ >> ‘Roaming Aggressiveness’ and select the value to "Highest." Click “OK.”

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message.

September 1st, 2012 08:00

Exact same problem ! I need to be no further than 6m away from access point to connect .. meanwhile even older laptops have no issues ! help please ??

3 Posts

September 10th, 2012 23:00

Thank you Rajath,

I did as you mention and also I removed Meccaf. from the system at all, it become more better but still not like any other laptop even my very old laptop !

any thing else  I can do ?? thanks again

November 15th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for the updates globalgroups, hoping for good news !

November 15th, 2012 09:00

Hi guys. sounds like we're all having the same issue.

Have only DELL machines in the office and only having trouble finding decent wireless connectivity with the two 5520s I purchased recently. The rest work fine.

I virtually have to be on top of a wireless AP to connect with them.

here is an image of DELL inspiron 5520 (left) running next to older DELL inspiron 5110 (right). both machines running the same version of Metageek inssider to monitor wireless strength at the same location. (approx. 12m from wireless AP).

5110 (right) shows full signal on wireless icon and -50dBm on inssider while 5520 shows one or two bars on the wireless icon and -80dBm on inssider (and does not pick up the second wireless AP at all).

Have tried all suggestions above and contacted DELL support. they will be sending out an engineer to investigate.

will keep all posted.

1 Message

November 18th, 2012 00:00

dear gent's

i have new laptop dell 5520 the wifi for network is cutting after 10 menutes and give me massege the access limited and i  returned back to conecting and after 10 menutes the wifi cutting but when conecting the modem cable the internet working probably

please help to desolve this problem

December 3rd, 2012 23:00

Update on the ongoing problem with 5520:

It sounds like I am experiencing a slightly different problem than perfect_prognosis - just permanently poor signal despite updates/ driver changes /dell helpdesk fiddling etc.

DELL sent out an engineer (after taking 2 weeks to source replacement wireless cards). The DELL wireless cards were replaced with intel cards (according to engineer the same card running on the 5110 in the picture above) - with no improvement.

Engineer suspected that the 5520 wireless aerial (located behind the screen) is poor/defective. unfortunately, there are no spare parts in my part of the world to fix this within the next month or so...

I am now making arrangements with DELL to send the machines back for a refund.

1 Message

December 4th, 2012 13:00

I have the same problem bro. The first day i bought this computer i couldnt connect to the internet through wifi, Contacted dell support, i hope they will solve this problem

1 Message

December 12th, 2012 05:00

I am also having the same problem but it didn't work for me, now i have completely erased windows 7 and installed windows 8 but the problem still persists.

thanks 

No Events found!