Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2009 13:00

Dell Inspiron Mini 10V Wireless N Network Problem

Hi,

First of all please excuse the rather blunt tone in this thread. This issue is becoming a chore and I am starting to wish I bought from a different manufacturer.

As the title suggests, I am having problems connecting to the internet. I've tried changing my security from WPA to WEP and back again. I've searched these forums for a solution and nothing has worked. I've changed my antenna output to Aux from Auto as one thread suggested, but no luck.

For a time, I could connect to my wireless BT Home Hub 2, but the range was pathetic (about 4 metres). I've tried connecting to my partners home wireless connection, and again, same problem. Now the connection is virtually nothing. If I am lucky enough to get a connection then it will be poor and usually fail within 2 minutes.

I've had my Dell Inspiron Mini 10v for nearly 3 months now. I wish I was brave enough to return it when I had the chance.

People have commented that this could be a known issue. I don't know what the problem is. I've spoken to IT bods my office and nobody seems to know.

Please help either by fixing my netbook or letting me return it!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

confuseddotcom,

Did you try THIS, it was located in the Forum Sticky.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

This is a user forum so we have nothing to do with returns. To get help from the wireless gurus here, you need to say what model your wireless card is, as well as your model router and wireless setup--type of Internet connection, service provider and anything else that might be relevant. Have you tried Dell Support for some troubleshooting? Maybe it is a hardware issue and they would be the ones to help correct your problem. They will want to know all the facts about your wireless setup too. They would be the to ask about a return or repair.

November 22nd, 2009 01:00

Hi,

Heres all the information you require:

The wireless hardware is a 1510 Wireless N card run on an Inspiron Mini 10v with windows XP

My ISP is BT and my router is a BT Home Hub 2 currently secured with WPA 2.

I have emailed Dell Tech Support. I got an automated response telling me how ling I could expect a human response. A human response never came, hence why I am rather despondent at this point.

Thanks

November 25th, 2009 01:00

Well, seeing as nobody at Dell was able (willing) to help I thought I would try and fix the problem myself - HERE IS THE ANSWER....

It would appear that the default driver in the Inspiron Mini V10 for the 1510 half mini card could be faulty. The fix is simple. Download the network drivers for a Dell Studio Desktop from here http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=STUDIO1909&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=.

The driver you are looking for is called 5.10.79.7 and has the name of the wireless card written next to it. The next step is rather advanced, so if you are not tech minded, probably time to ring Dell.

You must download the driver above, specifying it for Vista 32bit. Because your Inspiron Mini 10 probably runs XP you will need to install the new driver using the device manager section of Control Panel. Go to network and adaptors and update the driver from there.

Many thanks for everyones help!

1 Message

December 18th, 2009 21:00

Thankyou so much, this was the fix, finally

Imagine, hours on the phone with dell support, harware swap of the NIC, mail in service for antenna replacement, format and restore of the system and still issues.

I followed your instruction and now problem free.

Thank you 

No Events found!