Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2013 17:00

Dell Inspiron N5050 drivers problem

Hello,

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 and tried to install the drivers so it can work fine, but I have a problem with the wireless one. To be honest I've never installed a driver before and I just don't know which ones I should install and which ones I shouldn't. I downloaded some from here: http://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/inspiron-15-intel-n5050.html

A friend told me the basic ones to install (Chipset? Realtek? USB modem?), he told me those ones would be useful so I downloaded them.

• Realtek RTS5138 Card Reader, v.6.1.7600.30126, A00
    Chip Set, Realtek RTS5138 Card Reader (Driver)
  • Conexant D400,External USB 56K Modem, v.Drv_Win7-32_2.0.22.0, A02
    Conexant D400 External USB 56K Modem Win7 32 Driver V2.0.20.0-A
  • Intel HM57 Express Chipset Family, HM67 Express Chipset Family, v.9.2.0.1019, A00
    Chip Set,Intel HM57/HM67 Express Chipset Family,Intel Mobile Series 5/6Chipset(Driver),Multi OS,Multi Language,Insprion N4050/N5040/N5050,Vostro 1440/1450/1540/1550,A00.

I also downloaded these ones:

• Wireless WLAN 1502 Half Mini-Card, Dell Wireless WLAN 1502 Win7
  • Dell Wireless 1702 802.11 b/g/n, BT3.0+HS
  • Realtek RTL8111E-VB Gigabit Ethernet Controller, RTL8105E-VB 10/100 Ethernet Controller, v.7.045.0516.2011,, A01
    Realtek RTL8111E-VB Gigabit Ethernet Controller,Realtek RTL8105E-VB 10/100 Ethernet Controller (Driver) *** (This one gave me an error message when I tried to install it: "Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the MODEM device for this driver."
  • DELL,SRV,DRVR,NTWK,1703,ENRICO,Wifi: 9.2.0.496 BT: 7.4.0.126,A00
    Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n
  • Dell Wireless WLAN 1502 Half Mini-Card, v.9.2.0.225, A00
    Release: Network, Dell Wireless WLAN 1502 Half Mini-Card (Driver), WIN7 32/64 bit, Multi Language, MultiSystem[9]
  • Dell Wireless 1701 Bluetooth v3.0+HS, v.6.3.0.7900, A00
    Driver for 1701 BT

And a video one that works fine.

After trying to install all these my wifi still didn't work. It doesn't appear on the network list. I have other PC and it works just fine so it's not the wifi. I searched a little on the forum for a solution but didn't find it. I saw people asked for this so I'll post it too, it might help:

Also I saw that drivers need to be installed in a determinate order or else they won't work?

If someone could help me I would really appreciate it, I'm pretty much confused about this.

1.5K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 01:00

Hi vijaya durai,

Please share the system model and the operating system installed. Also let me know the ‘Hardware ID’ of the ‘Network controller’ and ‘PCI Simple Communications Controller’. You may follow the steps below:

• In ‘Device Manager’, right click ‘Network Controller/PCI Simple Communications Controller’.
  • Click ‘Properties’.
  • Click ‘Details’.
  • Search for ‘Hardware ID’.
  • Provide the numbers after VEN and DEV.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

1.5K Posts

Hi Bogkitty,

Thank you for the detailed information. You may share the ‘Hardware IDs’ for ‘Other Devices’. Please follow the steps below:

• In ‘Device Manager’, right click ‘Network Controller/PCI Simple Communications Controller’.
  • Click ‘Properties’.
  • Click ‘Details’.
  • Search for ‘Hardware ID’.
  • Provide the numbers after VEN and DEV.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

2.2K Posts

Hello,

I am curious about a coupe of things...

1.) Did you installall of the drivers and then test functionality at the end, or did you install driver, makie sure item works, and then move on? I ask because ti appears you have three different woreless drivers in your list (1702, 1703, 1701) and I was wondering if the wireless worked after installing one but then died after installing a second driver for it.

My guess would eb the 1702 driver you mentioned would most likely be the correct one.

2.) I am also curious as to what shows up iunder the Network Adapters section.

You only  have one wireless card in there, so it can't needa ll three drivers. The 1702 was the most common in the N5050's.... So....

At this point I would try to reinstall the 1702 driver.

Let me know if it works....

4 Posts

August 14th, 2013 19:00

I pretty much just installed everything and restarted the PC. I don't know what all the drivers were for so I can't know for sure if they worked or not. (The only one I can say it worked is the video one).

Well I just did what you said, and now I can use wireless internet, but now I would like to know if the drivers work fine.

Thanks for your help.

4 Posts

August 14th, 2013 20:00

Hello, thanks for your answer.

Now the "network controller" thing disappeared, so I'll proceed to give you the PCI Simple Communications Controller one.

Numbers after VEN and DEV are 8086 and 1

2.2K Posts

August 14th, 2013 21:00

Hello... Good job.. Seems you are getting closer....

I looked over your list again and noticed you did not appear to install an audio driver.  Have you tried:  IDT 92HD87B1

Does your sound work okay?

4 Posts

August 14th, 2013 21:00

Uhm it works fine to me, would it make a difference having the driver? (Going to install it anyway, just wondering)

2.2K Posts

August 14th, 2013 22:00

If the sound works fine, that is good. Windows sometimes can install the correct, possibly generic  driver. The actual driver could offer additional controls and perhaps better sound.

I was just wondering if that was the unknown PCI device.

Typically, if you have no warnings (the yellow symbol) in your device manger, things are working okay....

Keep us posted and good luck.

2.2K Posts

August 14th, 2013 23:00

Hi... Sorry to double post, but I have been looking, and I also see no touchpad driver in the list of things you described.

The touch pad drivers are in the drivers section of the N5050  where you got the other drivers- it will be under Mouse, Keyboard, and input devices.

Since you are using Windows 7, use the Alps touch pad driver found there....

It is quite possible that is the problem causing the caution symbol in the device manager....

2 Posts

August 16th, 2013 05:00

So I have been experiencing difficulty like everyone else with wireless connectivity.  I actually cannot connect unless I'm wired at this point and attempted to follow the steps above and realized I don't have "Other Devices" listed in my Device Manager window.  ???  

This issue with wireless is beyond frustrating.  To sit right next to the router and not be able to connect is ridiculous - I literally wasted 45 minutes trying to connect yesterday in order to log in to class; I bought this for Grad school but have had to go back to using my old (Dell) desktop which connects just fine to the wireless network.  Even more upsetting is it's not even paid for yet and it doesn't work!

2.2K Posts

August 16th, 2013 08:00

Maylmer...

Will it not connect to ANY network? Based on what you wrote, that is what I am assuming, and the answer I give is based on that.

There are three different ways this adapter could have become disabled, so it is possible that has some how happened.

Assuming the drivers are installed, you should see your network adapter under the Network Adapters tab in the Device Manager. Click on the plus sign next to it, and it should  create the drop down with Dell Wireless 1702.802.11b/g/n.If you do see the adapter (possible you have a different model adapter, maybe 1703, but from what I can tell, most n5050s shipped with the 1702), right click on it and make sure it is enabled. If not, you will see an option to enable it - do so.

Also, make sure it is enabled though the function keys (Fn - F2). Some computers are configured to toggle the wireless on/off with F2 only, so try that as well.

Finally, in the start menu search box, type in Windows Mobility Center and open it. Make sure the top right box for wireless is still turned on. If it is on it will show the option to turn it off... If it shows the option to turn it on, choose it.

Assuming everything is enabled and you are online (wired since wireless is apparently not working) choose the update driver software option and follow the prompts to see if a new driver is available and helps.

Beyond that, it may be a hardware problem with the card. Is the machine still under warranty?

If not.... The cheapest and most expedient option may be to try a small  USB wireless adapter (have seen many small, highly rated ones for under $20).

Good luck with this.

2 Posts

August 17th, 2013 10:00

Thank you hrova. And yes, you are correct in that it will not connect to ANY network (wirelessly). Drivers are indeed installed, and updated ---
and I will try your recommendations.

My feeling is that since it is NOT under warranty any more that it is a hardware problem. I had similar problems, more minor with only the occassional inability to connect, when it was under warranty but attributed it to my internet service.

Sadly (I say this because I *was* a Dell fan) - two out of three USB ports are now defective/broken so I'll have to get a splitter to use for the remaining one and try the wireless adapter as you also suggested.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how all works out.

2.2K Posts

August 17th, 2013 12:00

I just did a quick eBay search and assuming it is just the wireless card, a replacement 1702 card can be had for about $10.

Knowing the other issues you mentioned makes me wonder of more is going on.

Good luck.

1.5K Posts

August 19th, 2013 18:00

Hi Bogkitty,

Thank you for the information. You may install the latest chipset drivers from the link: http://dell.to/163iq2e.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2013 00:00

please recover the my laptop driver problem

No Events found!