Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 18th, 2012 15:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 Wireless Connectivity Issues

So I got this laptop maybe a month ago; it was working great until maybe a week ago. Then my router started having issues, which effected all of the computers in the house. I got a new router and more bandwidth, and the internet is now fine for all computers but my own. I've researched it a lot, and has

-The Computer runs Windows 7, and has an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 adapter

I have tried many things to try and resolve this, and will try to recount all the things we've tried here.

-I've done a bunch of stuff in the network and sharing center . I noticed that my computer does not seem to remember the WEP key that I typed in to the properties for my router, as I have recently (also around when the problems started happening)  configured my router's key to be a 5-digit ASCII password, but it has the old 10-digit 0-9, A-F, password (don't know the technical name for that). I have removed the network profile and manually set up a new one multiple times, but it always has that 10-digit password there.  I have messed with the wireless adapter settings, but can't think of anything really noteworthy I've done in there. I've messed with the command prompt, using ipconfig (though I have no idea what most of the stuff in there means) for maybe some insight into what my problem was; I've also tried some commands posted on other forums. After some googling, I found a good few forum pages explaining troubles with the Centrino Wireless-N 1030 Adapter; I'm not sure if that's because it's especially temperamental or if it's just a really common adapter. The laptop works fine with an ethernet cord in the back, it's just the wireless that doesn't work. I have not yet been able to test it on another router/network, but I doubt that that is the problem as no problems have been encountered with other devices in my house. I have updated the drivers for the Wireless-N 1030 adapter, though through whatever offline functionality it uses; I haven't tried with an ethernet cord in the back yet. There's probably some other stuff I've screwed around with that I should mention, but I can't think of any at the moment.

Any insight you can give me into this problem will be greatly appreciated, and I am more than ready to provide any other information.

Thank you for your time,

(And I apologize for the poor formatting)

Christian May

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 18th, 2012 16:00

Christian May,

Let's start with using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

Try reading...

Intel® WiFi Products — Power Save Polling (PSP) causes connection issues with some access points

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Create a Power Plan

Select High performance.

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Intel ~ Recommended settings for 802.11n connectivity

Rick

August 18th, 2012 17:00

I've got to say, I tried some stuff a lot more complex than that; I'd read about the PSP while looking for answers, and I'd been on high performance and all that; good advice nonetheless though, but, for whatever reason, changing my router channel from automatic to 11 did the trick; I now have five bars across the house. You have my gratitude and appreciation. Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2012 05:00

ChristianMay,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

August 19th, 2012 08:00

I have the same computer/laptop with same module and started experiencing problems yesterday (afer Microsoft update).  Fix was to RESTORE system to a prior date.  All seems to work fine at this moment.

No Events found!