Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2012 12:00

Dell Latitude E6420 does not recognize available wireless networks

After booting up the laptop, no wireless networks are recognized. i know there at least 1 wireless network available (mine).

February 19th, 2012 15:00

I found the problem...the driver for the wireless card was not installed. I contacted Dell and they remotely downloaded the driver from the Dell website and installed it. Problem solved!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 18th, 2012 14:00

coachbrian,

Can you try running the Finding System Information Tool (preferred)Or hit the Windows Key and the R keys at the same time. Type

systeminfo.txt

REMOVE THE PRODUCT ID and post the rest of the information back here.

or an ipconfig /all log and maybe it will reveal something.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 20th, 2012 03:00

coachbrian,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

May 19th, 2019 16:00

Drivers from the Dell website didn't work for me, wasted hours of my life. :No:

But this fixed it for me: :Smile:

1) Go to Device manager, right click Network Adapter (which has the problem)

and click properties.

2) Click details tab > click Device Description drop down menu thing and click Hardware IDs (two options below I think).

3) Write down the top ID which starts with PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_082.....blah blah

copy it into the search bar of Microsoft Update Catalog here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

BUT LEAVE OUT THE &REV_ ending if you don't get any results.

4) There may be lots of drivers but if you're on Windows 7, it's narrowed down to only

one confirmed to be for Windows 7.....download that one, it's a .cab file.

5. Take out the file contents of the .cab file and put those files into a new folder in your documents (not desktop, it doesn't work with desktop).

6. Finally right click the problematic Network Adapter device in device manager > right click > driver tab > update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > then click the browse button to select the folder which you made with the .cab files.

I wasted so much time because I didn't know how to install a .cab file.....you have to use the extracted files in a new folder for it to work.

Hope this helps save someone time!! :D

No Events found!