Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2010 10:00

Dell V305W wireless printer - not connecting

I have had this printer for a while now and I was using it with a Aciontec DSL wifi modem.  It connected just fine without any problems via the installation software and a usb cable to initalize.  I just swtiched from DSL to a Cable setup.  I am using a Motorola "surfboard" SBG901 with built in wifi.  It came pre installed with a WPA PSK string.  Every time I have tried to connect it would not accept the WPA PSK string and being a legit 8 -63 charcters.  I messed around witht he Cable modem settings and eventually decided to turn off all proection for a second to see if I could connect.  Sure enough I was able to connect.  In my Cable modem settings I have WPA/WPA PSK/WPA 2/WPA2 PSK .  When you select either WPA or WPA2 it greys out the WPA PSK and WPA2 PSK selections and vice versa.  I am using WPA PSK currently.  I tried to switch to WPA but the passcode section was greyed out and had some "radius key section".  I am not too familar with network settings just the basics.  I used the Dell Wireless connection utility and tried setting up a manual connection by putting in the ssid and what type of protection but it still would not accept the passcode as being a WPA.   Any suggestions would greatly help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 14th, 2010 17:00

CCook_NM,

First you'll need to setup your wireless router, again.

How to login to your wireless router and use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. Make sure your password is 12 characters or longer.

You'll need to setup your your printer, just like you did when you purchased it. Anytime you change the security and passwords, etc..., the printer will also need to be reconfigured.

Try using the instruction located at...

V305 & V305w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

The tell me what happens.

Rick

2 Posts

January 15th, 2010 12:00

Thanks Rick for replying.  I had tried using the "How to connect to a wireless printer to a wireless network" page prior to my initial post.  I supplied a screenshot of what the dell wireless ultility is saying as well as my wireless router screen shot and what my wpa psk password looks like.

It just really seems to me the Dell Utility is asking for one format either a wpa and I am using a wpa psk if their is a difference.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 16th, 2010 03:00

CCook_NM,

I could not see the details in your image. Your setup should look like...

wall > isp modem/router > your wireless router(if any) > wired/wireless

The wireless router needs to be configured before you'll be able to connect.

I usually suggest, when making changes to the wireless router, to make a new SSID

Update the firmware in your wireless router at manufacturers website.

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal)

Use mixed mode

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. I use channel 11.

Save and exit. Power everything off. Wait 30 seconds, then turn on your ISP Modem/router first. Wait 30 seconds, then turn on your wireless router.

Restart your computer. Now try to connect to your new network.

Rick

5 Posts

November 7th, 2011 05:00

I am having the same issue as CCook_NM is having.  And I have done all the things Rick has suggested to no avail.  I have updated the firmware on the Dell Printer v305w.  Using a Linksys Router WRT54G, ver 8.0.  Looking at other websites, it seems that this is an issue many people have had this issue, but solution has ever been found.

Help DELL!!!!

Mike

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 7th, 2011 06:00

Mike,

What type of security and channel are you using in the wireless router?

Rick

5 Posts

November 7th, 2011 19:00

Network Mode: Mixed

Wireless Channel: 6

Using WPA Personal (AES)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 8th, 2011 02:00

Mikekelc,

I would first make a new SSID and use the Recommended Wireless Router Settings I use channel 11.

WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal) works best with most wireless devices.

You'll have to setup the printer again.

Rick

2 Posts

November 16th, 2011 10:00

Hi - has anyone managed to get this owrking for them?  I'm experiencing the same problem following a change in routers - the DELL wizard simply won't accept my security key for some reason....

I'm reluctant to start changing everything (and the household's computers) if this is not going to resolve the issue.

Cheers.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 16th, 2011 16:00

ChelleIcky,

I use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier. Turn off the firewall in the wireless router(if it has one) Do NOT use Mac Address filtering.

I haven't had a wireless device that would not connect to my network.

Rick

5 Posts

November 17th, 2011 05:00

Rick,

You keep suggesting the same thing over and over and it is not working with this Dell v305 Printer.  

Do you have a Dellv305 printer?

Mike

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 17th, 2011 07:00

Mike,

I have a Dell V715w Wireless Printer. I am using it on my wireless network.

I used to own a Dell 964 Printer and had it attached to a Dell Wireless Print adapter 3300.

My daughters cell phone, all our Dell computers, different brand computers, iPod touch and usb adapters have been connected to my network using the Recommended Wireless Router Settings using channel 11 and I have not had a wireless device that would not connect. I do not use Mac address filtering and I have the firewall turned off in my wireless router. I use the firewall and my virus protection for my safety. Making a new SSID makes connecting to the new network, easier.

Rick

2 Posts

November 18th, 2011 23:00

Hi - I've managed to get mine working.

I didn't change the channel setting, all I have done is reset the password to a new one which is 13 characters long, rather than 8, and the wizard seemed perfectly happy with that one.

Just thought I'd let everyone out there know.

ChelleIcky.

November 19th, 2011 01:00

ChelleIcky,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!