Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2013 09:00

Dell Vostro 5460 Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230 WOES

Hi,

I got  Dell Vostro 5460 which requires absolute direct line of sight with my router , i.e full wireless signal in order to get speed as fast as ethernet connect.

If the wireless connection drops by even 1 bar, the internet connection speed drops by at least 50%!

It does not happen on my desktop (using a linksys AE1000 USB wifi) where my connection is always at 3/4 wifi but running at full speeds.

Reinstalling the wifi driver did not work, tweaking and upgrading the firmware for my router doesn't work either. ANyone can help? 

953 Posts

September 10th, 2013 14:00

Hi Rocket79,

Please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Press and hold the Windows Key and then press R to launch Run Dialg box.
  2. Type “powercfg.cpl” and hit “Enter”.
  3. Click “Change plan settings” above the selected power plan.
  4. Click “Change advanced power settings”.
  5. Scroll down to “Wireless adapter settings”.
  6. Click the + sign and ensure that the wireless card is set to “Maximum Performance” when running on battery as well as AC Adapter.
  7. Click “OK” and close other power setting windows.
  8. Repeat steps 1 and 2 and this time type “devmgmt.cpl” in the Run Dialog box and hit “Enter”.
  9. Expand Network Adapters, right click the wireless card and choose Properties.
  10. Click the Advanced tab and Change Roaming Aggressiveness to Lowest.

Do reply with results.

4 Posts

September 11th, 2013 08:00

Hi Zohaib,

Thanks for the advices.

I had tried the steps shown but it doesn't work.

Anything less than a direct line of sight to my router, the speed will drop drastically/

953 Posts

September 11th, 2013 19:00

Hi Rocket79,

When the connection speed drops your laptop is at what distance from the router?

4 Posts

September 12th, 2013 09:00

Hi Zohaib,

I don't think it matters much to the distance.

My current connection of my PC via wifi is only 2 bars, yet is able to achieve near full internet speeds, same for my mobile devices.

If applicable, the connection speed drops when I am about 5m from the router, direct line of sight, and when the signal drops by just one bar.

953 Posts

September 12th, 2013 16:00

Hi Rocket79,

Please try to connect your laptop to a different wireless network (if available) and check if the same problem occurs. Disable Bluetooth Collaboration in “Advanced Properties” of the wireless card in “Device Manager”. Update the BIOS from our support site. You can download the most updated BIOS from here.

Do reply with results.

17 Posts

September 12th, 2013 22:00

Hello

I also have the same issue with the dell vostro 5460. Unless I am in the same room as the wireless router( I tried it with several wireless router), I do not get a proper wifi connection.

Other people have also been having the same problem with this laptop(http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/p/19523230/20445807.aspx#20445807)...The person who suggested to open the laptop back cover and check if the wifi antenna cables are not loose...Can we open our laptop ourselves or should it be done by a dell technician?

PS: The only solution I found for the wifi problem is to buy a USB wifi adapter.

953 Posts

September 13th, 2013 19:00

Hi YanishD,

The suggested step by RockStr-Rick K is indeed a good way to verify the cable failure. If the Dell User is not comfortable opening the computer chassis, it is always advisable to seek a technician’s help. Moreover, if the computer is in warranty, Dell will provide the service of parts replacement.

Please let us know if you have any further queries.

4 Posts

September 13th, 2013 22:00

Agreed, the concern is the voiding of warranty if we diy it ourself.

Btw, I think I have seen a manual on how to open it, care to share where can I find it again?

17 Posts

Hello,

I am comfortable in opening the laptop. It's just that I want to know if I open the laptop myself, does the warranty voids?

17 Posts

Yes the manual does explain how to open the laptop. ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_vostro_notebook/vostro-5460_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

953 Posts

September 17th, 2013 19:00

Hello,

I am comfortable in opening the laptop. It's just that I want to know if I open the laptop myself, does the warranty voids?

Agreed, the concern is the voiding of warranty if we diy it ourself.

Btw, I think I have seen a manual on how to open it, care to share where can I find it again?

@ YanishD / Rocket79

Click here to know the status of your laptop’s warranty. If your computers are still in warranty, private message me the service tag of the system, registered owners name, address, and primary/alternate contact numbers.

To send me a Private Message, click my DELL-username and then click "Send a Private Message".

I would do my best to assist you further.

Awaiting your response!

2 Posts

September 18th, 2013 09:00

Been having that problem for a while, did some reseach and some twerking. I would like to share this with you guys

i found out that the problem is caused by the power saving poling (PSP) on intel devices uncompatibility with router settings.

for more info visit http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

to solveGo to the Device manager >> Network Adapters

1.  double click on the Intel centrino wireless Adapter to go to its properties

2. Click Advanced > Adapter Settings > Advanced tab.

3. Windows XP*: Select Power Management, uncheck Default / Auto, and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance.

4. Windows 7 or 8*: Select Transmit Power, change Value to 5. Highest.

4.1 set Roaming Agressiveness to 2. medium-low

Hope it helps, let me know.... cheers :-)

3 Posts

September 18th, 2013 21:00

Solution suggested by PeazMan does notwork for me. 

for DELL CS team, 

This is not an ISP issue, this is a well known issue with the centrino N-2230 wifi adapter.

Recently bought vostro 5460, I'm within a school network which constantly got >10mbps in other computer but with the Vostro 5460 the wifi would sometime drop and even when connected the speed would constantly underperform (about 25% as fast as the other computer). 

DELL would need to look into this and issue a solution to all of us who bought this laptop. 

2 Posts

October 15th, 2013 08:00

May i know what is the solution for this issue. I'm having the same issue for Vostro 5460..

My laptop is still under warranty.

2 Posts

August 7th, 2015 12:00

Same issues here in 07/08/2015! 

Any solutions for this issue???????

No Events found!